Why do the labels disappear?

• Advertisement ( why? )

Guest, 18th Jun 2012 12:37 pm

Hi there,

I'm a long time user of HTML-Kit (free version). I recently installed HTML-Kit Tools to try it out. Using the default project, I added an FTP folder. Fine, that's great. Yet, when I add anything else (specifically a local folder), I lose all the labels/text in the project window. All I see are the icons. Example. I no longer see the words "Default Project"; just a folder icon. I no longer see "Folder actions"; I see just the icon.

If I close HTML-Kit Tools, it reverts back to normal. If I change the local folder, I lose all the labels again.

Is this a known bug?

Suzanne

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Jun 2012 12:58 pm

On 6/18/2012 12:37 PM, Guest wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a long time user of HTML-Kit (free version). I recently
      installed HTML-Kit Tools to try it out. Using the default project, I
      added an FTP folder. Fine, that's great. Yet, when I add anything
      else (specifically a local folder), I lose all the labels/text in the
      project window. All I see are the icons. Example. I no longer see
      the words "Default Project"; just a folder icon. I no longer see
      "Folder actions"; I see just the icon.

If I close HTML-Kit Tools, it reverts back to normal. If I change
      the local folder, I lose all the labels again.

Is this a known bug?

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I'm not quite sure if I understand what's going on. When you add a local
      folder to a project window, it should look something like this:

http://www.htmlkit.com/view/#!/i/temp-project-window-1

You'll see more or less items if you change default project preferences.

If taking a screenshot of what you're seeing and posting its URL isn't
      too much of a trouble, that would help troubleshooting a lot.

Chami

• Guest, 18th Jun 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Chami,

Here's what I see:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7844/notextlabels.png

(The white box beside the word Repository is my own doing to block out my website name.)

All I did to recreate that was to edit the folder settings. If I shut down HTMLKit and reopen, the text labels reappear.

Suzanne

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Jun 2012 1:41 pm

On 6/18/2012 1:29 PM, Guest wrote:

Hi Chami,

Here's what I see:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7844/notextlabels.png

(The white box beside the word Repository is my own doing to block
          out my website name.)

All I did to recreate that was to edit the folder settings. If I
          shut down HTMLKit and reopen, the text labels reappear.

Suzanne

Yikes! That looks weird.

Hmm... anything special about the PC? Which version of Windows is this
          on? Are you using a custom font/color/theme in Windows or in Tools?

Thank you very much for the screenshot. I haven't seen this before, and
          wouldn't have guessed anything within even two ballparks :)

Chami

• Guest, 18th Jun 2012 1:48 pm

Windows 7 - 64 bit. It's a fresh install of Tools that I downloaded this morning, without any modifications. (Didn't get to explore that much! ;-) ) My Windows theme looks to be an "unsaved" one, but all I had done with that was change the desktop background (it's a simple Windows logo background). I'll change to the default theme to see if that makes difference.

I also created a new project and the same thing happens.

Suzanne

• Guest, 18th Jun 2012 1:52 pm

I changed to my laptop's default theme; still happening.

I'm using the Trial Version of tools, version 20120605.

Suzanne

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Jun 2012 2:10 pm

On 6/18/2012 1:52 PM, Guest wrote:

I changed to my laptop's default theme; still happening.

I'm using the Trial Version of tools, version 20120605.

Suzanne

Hmm... are you using the standard font size in Windows?

You don't have easy access to another computer do you? If you do, you
              could try installing Tools there just to see how the project window
              labels appear. That might also help isolate any differences between the
              two computers related to this.

Chami

• Guest, 18th Jun 2012 2:22 pm

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

My font size was set to "Custom 135%". I set it to "Default 125%" and it's working perfectly.

But what's an over-40 programmer to do? ;-) I may have to use my reading glasses...

I don't know if that's something that can be controlled on your side, but it was nice having a bigger font.

Suzanne

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Jun 2012 2:42 pm

On 6/18/2012 2:22 PM, Guest wrote:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

My font size was set to "Custom 135%". I set it to "Default 125%"
                  and it's working perfectly.

But what's an over-40 programmer to do? ;-) I may have to use my
                  reading glasses...

I don't know if that's something that can be controlled on your side,
                  but it was nice having a bigger font.

Suzanne

Ahhh good!, now that we know the source of the problem I can get to work
                  on it.

I definitely wouldn't want you to use an uncomfortable font size so I
                  will try to fix it :)

Will post again (may take a couple of days)...

Thanks again for your help, Suzanne.

Chami

• Guest, 19th Jun 2012 6:10 am

Thanks, Chami. Totally understand about it taking time to fix. :-)

In the meantime, I went ahead and upgraded from the free trial to the paid version. I was looking for something that would do versioning, and since I'm so used to html-kit, this was a perfect fit.

I tried a similar product yesterday, but it was so counter-intuitive to how I'm used to working. You done spoiled me!

Suzanne

• bill, 19th Jun 2012 6:31 am

On 6/19/2012 7:10 AM, Guest wrote:

In the meantime, I went ahead and upgraded from the free trial to the paid version. I was looking for something that would do versioning, and since I'm so used to html-kit, this was a perfect fit.

I tried a similar product yesterday, but it was so counter-intuitive to how I'm used to working. You done spoiled me!

Suzanne

What's not be be spoiled about: great product, even better support.

BTW: as you have not been here long, you probably don't know that
                      CHAMI* really is a AI robot. That's how he gets so much done.
                      But, don't tell anyone, we don't want the NSA or Amazon.com to
                      steal him.

• Comprehensive Help Application Machine Intelligence.

bill

• HTML-Kit Support, 19th Jun 2012 11:41 am

On 6/19/2012 6:31 AM, bill wrote:

On 6/19/2012 7:10 AM, Guest wrote:

In the meantime, I went ahead and upgraded from the free trial to the
                        paid version. I was looking for something that would do versioning,
                        and since I'm so used to html-kit, this was a perfect fit.

I tried a similar product yesterday, but it was so counter-intuitive
                        to how I'm used to working. You done spoiled me!

Suzanne

What's not be be spoiled about: great product, even better support.

BTW: as you have not been here long, you probably don't know that CHAMI*
                        really is a AI robot. That's how he gets so much done. But, don't tell
                        anyone, we don't want the NSA or Amazon.com to steal him.

• Comprehensive Help Application Machine Intelligence.

bill

LOL

You know what's funny, Bill? I'll tell you a secret since you're so good
                        at keeping them! D.A.R.Y.L. is one of my favorite movies of all time and
                        it changed my interest in tinkering with physical things to computer
                        programming :) Can't say much more without going into spoiler zone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088979/

C.h.a.m.i.

• HTML-Kit Support, 19th Jun 2012 11:23 am

On 6/19/2012 6:10 AM, Guest wrote:

In the meantime, I went ahead and upgraded from the free trial to the
                      paid version. I was looking for something that would do versioning,
                      and since I'm so used to html-kit, this was a perfect fit.

I tried a similar product yesterday, but it was so counter-intuitive
                      to how I'm used to working. You done spoiled me!

Suzanne

Thank you for the registration, Suzanne. I appreciate it!

So I'm trying to get icon labels in the project window to disappear.
                      Since lowering Custom Text Size to 125% from 135% brought back the
                      labels for you, I thought that simply increasing text size on my Win7/64
                      to 135% would reproduce the problem. Not having much luck so far. Do you
                      have any suggestions on specific steps I should try to reproduce this?
                      If I can get it to do the same on my system I think I'll be able to fix it.

Chami