Update Notification

  • Advertisement ( why? )
     

    Dave P, 2nd Aug 2012 6:15 pm

    Hi Chami,

    When the update notification in Tools (actually, just before it appears)
    pops up the whole program hangs for as much as a couple of minutes.
    This is a but disconcerting when you are right at the end of doing a
    bunch of coding and haven't yet saved the work, but you don't know
    whether you're going to have to kill the process.

    Dave

    • HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Aug 2012 7:14 pm

      On 8/2/2012 6:15 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

      Hi Chami,

      When the update notification in Tools (actually, just before it appears)
      pops up the whole program hangs for as much as a couple of minutes. This
      is a but disconcerting when you are right at the end of doing a bunch of
      coding and haven't yet saved the work, but you don't know whether you're
      going to have to kill the process.

      Dave

      Hi Dave,

      This function does take about four times longer with the increased size
      of the setup file, though a couple of minutes is probably at the higher
      end. It generally takes less than ten seconds for me.

      In any event, this surely needs to be optimized. I'll take a look after
      the release.

      Chami

      • Dave P, 2nd Aug 2012 8:17 pm

        On 8/2/2012 8:14 PM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

        On 8/2/2012 6:15 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

        Hi Chami,

        When the update notification in Tools (actually, just before it appears)
        pops up the whole program hangs for as much as a couple of minutes. This
        is a but disconcerting when you are right at the end of doing a bunch of
        coding and haven't yet saved the work, but you don't know whether you're
        going to have to kill the process.

        Dave

        Hi Dave,

        This function does take about four times longer with the increased size
        of the setup file, though a couple of minutes is probably at the higher
        end. It generally takes less than ten seconds for me.

        In any event, this surely needs to be optimized. I'll take a look after
        the release.

        Chami

        Could it be set to just give the notification and not download the
        update until you tell it to?

        My DSL is only 15Mbps, which isn't the fastest in the world, but the
        fastest that I can get here.

        Dave

        • HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Aug 2012 10:03 pm

          On 8/2/2012 8:17 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

          On 8/2/2012 8:14 PM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

          On 8/2/2012 6:15 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

          Hi Chami,

          When the update notification in Tools (actually, just before it appears)
          pops up the whole program hangs for as much as a couple of minutes. This
          is a but disconcerting when you are right at the end of doing a bunch of
          coding and haven't yet saved the work, but you don't know whether you're
          going to have to kill the process.

          Dave

          Hi Dave,

          This function does take about four times longer with the increased size
          of the setup file, though a couple of minutes is probably at the higher
          end. It generally takes less than ten seconds for me.

          In any event, this surely needs to be optimized. I'll take a look after
          the release.

          Chami

          Could it be set to just give the notification and not download the
          update until you tell it to?

          My DSL is only 15Mbps, which isn't the fastest in the world, but the
          fastest that I can get here.

          Dave

          You can control when to download under "Edit > Preferences > Advanced >
          Check for updates" but this actually isn't related to the download
          speed. So the default setting should work fine.

          Checking file versions and comparing them for differences is what's
          using up that time. These routines need to be optimized to handle larger
          files.

          By the way, your connection is ample fast. The download server runs
          slower than that anyway specially when it's busy serving a new update.

          Chami

      • Luca, 3rd Aug 2012 1:29 am

        Hi chami,
        I remember that some weeks ago you asked us if new dimension could be a problem.
        Just a curiosity: why this big increase in size in a unique time? I mean... I see new features every time that you update... but nothing that can justify this big step.... what is that increased so much setup size??? :-)

        • HTML-Kit Support, 3rd Aug 2012 1:54 am

          On 8/3/2012 1:29 AM, Luca wrote:

          Hi chami,
          I remember that some weeks ago you asked us if new dimension could
          be a problem.
          Just a curiosity: why this big increase in size in a unique time? I
          mean... I see new features every time that you update... but nothing
          that can justify this big step.... what is that increased so much setup
          size??? :-)

          Hi Luca,

          I think I asked that question around end of April and you can get a list
          of specific features added to builds since then in the ChangeLog:

          http://www.html-kit.com/tools/changelog/

          In short though, the big jump in size is due to built-in support for
          previewing HTML5/CSS3.

          Chami