Suggestion for Improvement: Batch replace in files

• Advertisement ( why? )

Carlsguides, 1st Jun 2014 4:16 pm

Batch replace takes an awfully long time when it searches pictures for things to replace. Unless there is some rationality to this function, it should skip those by default. Perhaps it could have the option to do those files for some reason I'm unaware of, but it should stick to html/php files. Right now, Multiple File Search and Replace blows this function out of the water just because it's about 10x faster due to this.

Also, I am a little disappointed that each time I add a new file to my Project based off a template, I have to manually tell it to rescan folders to add the new file to the project. It would be nice if it searched for new files and neatly placed them where they belong. I have to reorganize them after adding. For example, something in root would appear below all the folders, and I'd have to move it back up to the alphabetical list.

I did buy the program after the trial being aware of these, so I still have to say great work. I would love to see these two features improved in later versions if it is possible.

Thanks!

Carl

• Carlsguides, 2nd Jun 2014 10:44 am

I don't know what got me so confused, but the Batch replace is working fine, nice and fast. I thought it was hung up on pictures somehow. I would edit this to remove that complaint if possible.

I hope my suggestion for adding files to Projects is taken seriously - or someone can tell me how I might get the files to be added to the Project automatically?

• Carlsguides, 2nd Jun 2014 10:46 am

For large batch replaces, being able to resize the text fields would be nice. I have to do a lot of scrolling if I'm replacing a chunk of code throughout the site.

• HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Jun 2014 10:54 pm

On 6/2/2014 10:46 AM, Carlsguides wrote:

For large batch replaces, being able to resize the text fields would
          be nice. I have to do a lot of scrolling if I'm replacing a chunk of
          code throughout the site.

True! Resizing the Batch Action window only adjusts the width of these
          fields so I see what you mean about working with text with many hard lines.

Here's a possible workaround: click "Find" / "Replace with" field label
          (the label text itself to the left of fields) and select "Paste From."
          That'll bring up much larger editor-like window that's fully resizable
          both ways. It should also help with saving and retrieving frequently
          used find/replace text snippets.

Chami

• HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Jun 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Carl,

First of all, thank you for the kind words and for the feedback.

On 6/2/2014 10:44 AM, Carlsguides wrote:

I don't know what got me so confused, but the Batch replace is
        working fine, nice and fast. I thought it was hung up on pictures
        somehow. I would edit this to remove that complaint if possible.

It's no biggie... Batch Find/Replace should only be searing in text
        files. It figures this out by looking at file extensions listed in "Edit

Preferences > Files > File Types."

I hope my suggestion for adding files to Projects is taken seriously
        - or someone can tell me how I might get the files to be added to
        the Project automatically?

Just to make sure that I have a clear understanding of what you're
        looking for, can you tell me if it's a Local Folder (yellow) or a
        Virtual Folder (green)? If it's a local folder in a project window,
        right clicking it and selecting Refresh should bring up files added
        outside of HTML-Kit.

Chami

• Carlsguides, 15th Jul 2014 11:53 am

Sorry for the lateness of my response, I'd forgotten about this. I've just been using it and working around things.

It is a local folder. I just tried using refresh from both within the local folder area near the top and refreshing the folder from the actual project list. Neither added the new file, so it appears it's not working. These are php files - I do my sites in a bit different way so keep the simple php extension so my scripts work no matter the page. Right now it seems I need to use Add at the top and manually rearrange files using control + shift + up. It would be nice if, when using either option, it placed them in the proper place. They tend to appear at the bottom of the folder list.

A minor issue: when using control+shift+up/down to move a file around within the project, it doesn't automatically scroll the list to show you where you are. I have to move the file halfway up, then scroll the window, and proceed from there - possibly repeating the process.

When I went to Edit > Preferences and checked the list of file types, it did have php listed. Would trimming this list speed up the process of batch replace, so that it wouldn't check file types I never use batch actions on?

I just now found and enabled Save Before Preview in the settings, because occasionally my HTML-Kit freezes up and has forced me to crash the program, grab the .htm preview files and recover my changes by copy/pasting from those files. Hopefully saving before the preview will prevent this when I need to force-close the program. Thankfully, this is fairly rare but has happened about 5 times since purchase. If there might be logs you'd need to figure out why that's happening, I'd be happy to provide them.

I still love it though. What got me to buy this was the speed of the preview function - I love this feature and that it doesn't hang on advertisements as 292 does, for whatever reason. In a year, it will save me a lot of time as sometimes 292 would hang for a full minute on ads, even asynchronous.

I've recently noticed that files included with php include do not appear on preview. I have a news file that I change, and it never appears when I preview the pages. I use this file to avoid having to do batch replaces across a 500 page site. It's very handy and html-kit tools showing me a preview of the news column would be helpful to me in avoiding any formatting errors/typos before I push the news file live.

• HTML-Kit Support, 15th Jul 2014 2:28 pm

Hi,

On 7/15/2014 11:53 AM, Carlsguides wrote:

Sorry for the lateness of my response, I'd forgotten about this. I've
            just been using it and working around things.

No problem :)

It is a local folder. I just tried using refresh from both within the
            local folder area near the top and refreshing the folder from the
            actual project list. Neither added the new file, so it appears it's
            not working. These are php files - I do my sites in a bit different
            way so keep the simple php extension so my scripts work no matter the
            page. Right now it seems I need to use Add at the top and manually
            rearrange files using control + shift + up. It would be nice if, when
            using either option, it placed them in the proper place. They tend to
            appear at the bottom of the folder list.

I'm not sure why new files wouldn't appear for you. I've used the
            refresh option before and have just tried it now to make sure, and it's
            bringing up files I add outside HTML-Kit.

Please make sure that you're right clicking inside the folder in
            question and picking Refresh from there. If you right click a file
            that's already in the folder and Refresh, it should bring up any files
            added in that folder.

If you continue to have any problems, could you please send me
            (http://www.htmlkit.com/contact/) a screenshot/screencast/video?

A minor issue: when using control+shift+up/down to move a file
            around within the project, it doesn't automatically scroll the list
            to show you where you are. I have to move the file halfway up, then
            scroll the window, and proceed from there - possibly repeating the
            process.

Okay I will check and fix this.

When I went to Edit > Preferences and checked the list of file
            types, it did have php listed. Would trimming this list speed up the
            process of batch replace, so that it wouldn't check file types I
            never use batch actions on?

Batch replace acts on files designated as text files in preferences. I
            should also add a field to override this in Batch Replace dialog... will
            try to make this a part of DM'14.

I just now found and enabled Save Before Preview in the settings,
            because occasionally my HTML-Kit freezes up and has forced me to
            crash the program, grab the .htm preview files and recover my
            changes by copy/pasting from those files. Hopefully saving before the
            preview will prevent this when I need to force-close the program.
            Thankfully, this is fairly rare but has happened about 5 times since
            purchase. If there might be logs you'd need to figure out why that's
            happening, I'd be happy to provide them.

If this seems to be happening during preview, it might be related to
            preview itself -- a running script, flash loading, etc. Tools is quite
            stable for me which is why I'm wondering if it's preview related. I'd
            try F8 and see if that helps.

Also note that Tools has a built-in and automatic file
            history/backup/versioning accessible from "File > Restore" menu. Even
            unsaved files appear in "File > Restore current session."

I still love it though. What got me to buy this was the speed of the
            preview function - I love this feature and that it doesn't hang on
            advertisements as 292 does, for whatever reason. In a year, it will
            save me a lot of time as sometimes 292 would hang for a full minute
            on ads, even asynchronous.

That's really a part of the preview engine so the issue you're having
            with Tools is probably related as well. Most web pages preview fine in
            internal preview but certain types of scripts/embeds only work well in
            dedicated browsers. In addition to F8, Tools has a feature called
            Extended Preview for live previewing in multiple browsers/PCs/devices:

http://www.htmlkit.com/blog/preview-in-ipad/
            (not iPad specific)

I've recently noticed that files included with php include do not
            appear on preview. I have a news file that I change, and it never
            appears when I preview the pages. I use this file to avoid having to
            do batch replaces across a 500 page site. It's very handy and
            html-kit tools showing me a preview of the news column would be
            helpful to me in avoiding any formatting errors/typos before I push
            the news file live.

You'd have to preview through a PHP interpreter/server for this to work.
            It can be a LAMP-type local server or a typical web server. These are
            the menu options you want:

"View > Preview > Preview server-side script" (any scripting lang)

"View > Preview > Preview through PHP interpreter"

Chami