Recovering an old 2010 config.hsf file for snippets

• Advertisement ( why? )

superticker, 16th Aug 2013 3:04 pm

I had a disk failure and wasn't backing up my C:\Program Files\ directory regularly, which apparently contains the config.hsf file with all my HTML-Kit Tools snippets. (I just assumed backing up the C:\Users directories were enough.)

Anyway, I'm trying to recover the HTML-Kit Tools snippets from a 2010 backup of the config.hsf file without success. Any ideas? The current version of HTML-Kit Tools can't read the snippets from this old config.hsf binary file.

On a separate note, it certainly would be nice if HTML-Kit Tools saved its config.hsf in %APPDATA% by default so they are automatically backed up with all the other C:\Users directories.

• HTML-Kit Support, 16th Aug 2013 3:26 pm

Hi,

On 8/16/2013 3:04 PM, superticker wrote:

I had a disk failure and wasn't backing up my C:\Program Files\
      directory regularly, which apparently contains the config.hsf file
      with all my HTML-Kit Tools snippets. (I just assumed backing up the
      C:\Users directories were enough.)

Anyway, I'm trying to recover the HTML-Kit Tools snippets from a 2010
      backup of the config.hsf file without success. Any ideas? The
      current version of HTML-Kit Tools can't read the snippets from this
      old config.hsf binary file.

I'd have to double check but snippets from 2010 should work. Try this:
      first, backup the current config using "Kit > Backup" menu option. Exit
      Tools, and replace config.hsf with the old version. Reopen Tools and go
      to "File > Insert > Manage snippets."

On a separate note, it certainly would be nice if HTML-Kit Tools
      saved its config.hsf in %APPDATA% by default so they are
      automatically backed up with all the other C:\Users directories.

Well, the issue here is that Tools was designed to be portable and self
      contained. You can install multiple versions or even multiple instances
      of the same version of Tools in different directories and maintain
      separate settings in each.

Tools comes with a backup utility ("Kit > Backup" menu option) and even
      displays a reminder every couple of weeks to make a backup with that option.

Chami

• superticker, 17th Aug 2013 9:38 pm

I tried substituting the original config.hsf earlier and I just tried it again with the same results. Upon opening HTML-Kit Tools afterwards, it gives the message "Starting HTML-Kit Tools the first time" (which is untrue) followed by an error message saying it can't find the website to open. The latter message is reasonable because it was previously installed on Windows XP and Windows 7 (the current OS) locates files in the C:\Users directory instead (i.e. bad link inside the old config.hsf file).

The old settings come back okay, but when you open the snippets editor there's nothing but the three default snippets showing. I can email you the old 1.4MB config.hsf file if you want to try to opening it. If you can convert it to an ASCII file I can import, I would be forever grateful.

I didn't replace the plugin.hsf file when I switched config.hsf files. Is that a problem?

On the backup issue, even HTML-Kit Tools backups are placed in the C:\Program Files\ area instead of the C:\Users\ area so the system backup utility isn't catching them. Is there an easy way to redirect HTML-Kit Tools backups (including config.hsf) to the C:\Users area instead so they become part of the regular system backup set by default?

I thought about adding a shortcut in C:\Program Files\HTML-Kit\Tools\bin redirecting config.hsf to a %APPDATA%\HTML-Kit\config.hsf file. Has anyone got that hack to work?

On this forum, is the a tricky way to get quoted lines using the web interface, or do you have to be using a newsreader to create quoted lines?

• HTML-Kit Support, 17th Aug 2013 10:13 pm

On 8/17/2013 9:38 PM, superticker wrote:

I tried substituting the original config.hsf earlier and I just tried
          it again with the same results. Upon opening HTML-Kit Tools
          afterwards, it gives the message "Starting HTML-Kit Tools the first
          time" (which is untrue) followed by an error message saying it can't
          find the website to open. The latter message is reasonable because it
          was previously installed on Windows XP and Windows 7 (the current OS)
          locates files in the C:\Users directory instead (i.e. bad link inside
          the old config.hsf file).

I guess the text "Starting for the first time" could be reworded but
          it's displayed whenever Tools needs to initialize config data for a
          given build. Since Tools doesn't store this info in Windows registry,
          when you replace the config file it thinks it's starting anew.

The old settings come back okay, but when you open the snippets
          editor there's nothing but the three default snippets showing. I can
          email you the old 1.4MB config.hsf file if you want to try to
          opening it. If you can convert it to an ASCII file I can import, I
          would be forever grateful.

I can sure give it a try. A fresh copy from the backup might work better.

I didn't replace the plugin.hsf file when I switched config.hsf
          files. Is that a problem? --- On the backup issue, even HTML-Kit
          Tools backups are placed in the C:\Program Files\ area instead of
          the C:\Users\ area so the system backup utility isn't catching them.
          Is there an easy way to redirect HTML-Kit Tools backups (including
          config.hsf) to the C:\Users area instead so they become part of the
          regular system backup set by default?

The backup option ("Kit > Backup" menu option) in Tools may default to
          that folder but of course you can change it to whatever you want.

Copying files to Users area in a way defeats the purpose of having
          isolated installations. On the other hand, most users probably don't use
          that feature anyway so let me think about adding an option to copy to
          Users or other folder.

I thought about adding a shortcut in C:\Program
          Files\HTML-Kit\Tools\bin redirecting config.hsf to a
          %APPDATA%\HTML-Kit\config.hsf file. Has anyone got that hack to work?
          --- On this forum, is the a tricky way to get quoted lines using the
          web interface, or do you have to be using a newsreader to create
          quoted lines?

I'd just add it to a Windows Library folder like Documents which would
          then get backed up by default. Right click Documents under Library in a
          Windows folder, select Properties and then add the folder. If you don't
          want to clutter the Documents folder, you can create a new Library
          folder for backups.

Chami

• superticker, 17th Aug 2013 11:50 pm

The backup option ("Kit > Backup" menu option) in Tools may default to
            that folder but of course you can change it to whatever you want.

Where are you looking? I'm in the "Edit > Preferences Home > Files" menu and I see several configurations for backups, but nothing saying where I can set their default directory.

Users or other folder.

When you do, I would setup a default directory so all essential stuff is included in C:\Users somehow. If an advanced user wants to change it to somewhere in C:\Program Files\ for some reason (multiple installs?), that's his option. Certainly, if he's doing that, then he knows the backup the C:\Program Files\ area regularly as well.

then get backed up by default.

I'm totally new to Windows 7. Are you saying add C:\Program Files\HTML-Kit\Tools\bin\ to the Windows Library folder? Hmmm. I guess that would include all the HTML-Kit backup sets as well, but it would also include the HKTools.exe too ... right? (I guess I could regularly backup the executable too.)

The ideal approach would include all "writable files" in C:\Users on a fresh install. Then if the advanced user wanted to configure it differently (for some reason), he could.

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Aug 2013 1:08 am

On 8/17/2013 11:50 PM, superticker wrote:

The backup option ("Kit > Backup" menu option) in Tools may default
              to that folder but of course you can change it to whatever you
              want.

Where are you looking? I'm in the "Edit > Preferences Home > Files"
              menu and I see several configurations for backups, but nothing
              saying where I can set their default directory.

"Kit" menu is on the right-hand side of the menu bar. Directly below the
              application [X] close button.

Users or other folder.

When you do, I would setup a default directory so all essential
              stuff is included in C:\Users somehow. If an advanced user wants to
              change it to somewhere in C:\Program Files\ for some reason (multiple
              installs?), that's his option. Certainly, if he's doing that, then he
              knows the backup the C:\Program Files\ area regularly as well.

I'm totally new to Windows 7. Are you saying add C:\Program
              Files\HTML-Kit\Tools\bin\ to the Windows Library folder? Hmmm. I
              guess that would include all the HTML-Kit backup sets as well, but it
              would also include the HKTools.exe too ... right? (I guess I could
              regularly backup the executable too.)

You only need *.hsf files. Other files like executables would only use
              up more backup space. Libraries is one of the under utilized features in
              Windows but check out the docs... it's great for organizing files for
              various tasks.

I'd recommend "Kit > Backup" in Tools as the first option though because
              that'd get you the smallest set of necessary files and it'd know which
              files to include if the file structure changes in future versions.

The ideal approach would include all "writable files" in C:\Users on
              a fresh install. Then if the advanced user wanted to configure it
              differently (for some reason), he could.

It's not only multiple installations but also portable use of Tools. If
              someone's running Tools on a shared/lab/public computer or a friend's it
              shouldn't write to Users so use cases are a little more complicated. So
              let me think about it some more.

I think I know why your snippets didn't show up. These weren't added
              through projects were they? If not, copy plugins.hsf in addition to
              config.hsf as you did before and reopen Tools. Let me know if this
              doesn't work.

Chami

• superticker, 18th Aug 2013 2:03 am

want.

[Lines deleted]

I found it! Never saw it before. Will this backup feature backup everything "except" the Project files (html, php, css, js, md)?

Users or other folder.

%APPDATA%\HTML-Kit\config.hsf file....

...  Are you saying add C:\Program
                would also include the HKTools.exe too ...

You only need *.hsf files. Other files like executables would only use
                up more backup space. Libraries is one of the under utilized features in
                Windows but check out the docs...

I'll look at the Windows 7 docs more. I just got that OS running a week ago.

I'd recommend "Kit > Backup" in Tools as the first option though because
                that'd get you the smallest set of necessary files and it'd know which
                files to include if the file structure changes in future versions.

Sounds like a plan.

I think I know why your snippets didn't show up. These weren't added
                through projects were they?

What are you talking about? Am I adding the snippets incorrectly?

If not, copy plugins.hsf in addition to
                config.hsf as you did before and reopen Tools.

That worked! But why did it work? Is it possible to add snippets to specific projects too? And if so, where is that documented?

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th Aug 2013 11:24 am

On 8/18/2013 2:03 AM, superticker wrote:

want.
                  [Lines deleted]

I found it! Never saw it before. Will this backup feature backup
                  everything "except" the Project files (html, php, css, js, md)?

It'll back up Tools-specific data like settings, projects, plugins,
                  templates, snippets, etc. It won't back up external files like your
                  website files and resources.

Users or other folder.

%APPDATA%\HTML-Kit\config.hsf file....

...  Are you saying add C:\Program
                   would also include the HKTools.exe too ...

You only need *.hsf files. Other files like executables would only
                  use up more backup space. Libraries is one of the under utilized
                  features in Windows but check out the docs...

I'll look at the Windows 7 docs more. I just got that OS running a
                  week ago.

I'd recommend "Kit > Backup" in Tools as the first option though
                  because that'd get you the smallest set of necessary files and it'd
                  know which files to include if the file structure changes in future
                  versions.

Sounds like a plan.

I think I know why your snippets didn't show up. These weren't
                  added through projects were they?

What are you talking about? Am I adding the snippets incorrectly?

If not, copy plugins.hsf in addition to
                  config.hsf as you did before and reopen Tools.

That worked! But why did it work? Is it possible to add snippets to
                  specific projects too? And if so, where is that documented?

Oh that's great! I'm glad you were able to get back the snippets.
                  Snippets are treated as plugins so they're in plugins.hsf :

http://www.html-kit.com/tools/plugins/snp/

Chami

• superticker, 19th Aug 2013 1:34 am

Thanks for all your help. So are there two different ways to add snippets? I only know how to add them via the snippet editor (1st method). If they are added through a project (2nd method), will they only show up for that specific project?

How do you add snippets through a project? Are you talking about adding them using the "File > Insert > Add new snippet..." menu choice?

• HTML-Kit Support, 19th Aug 2013 1:57 am

On 8/19/2013 1:34 AM, superticker wrote:

Thanks for all your help. So are there two different ways to add
                      snippets? I only know how to add them via the snippet editor (1st
                      method). If they are added through a project (2nd method), will they
                      only show up for that specific project?

How do you add snippets through a project? Are you talking about
                      adding them using the "File > Insert > Add new snippet..." menu
                      choice?

"File > Insert" is the currently supported method, though other options
                      are in the works. I incorrectly thought that you may have added them
                      through projects because HTML-Kit 292 Workspace and earlier versions of
                      Tools had a snippets folder. It didn't scale well, and didn't work the
                      way rest of the plugins work.

Chami

• HTML-Kit Support, 17th Aug 2013 10:17 pm

On 8/17/2013 9:38 PM, superticker wrote:

On this forum, is the a tricky way to get quoted lines using the web
          interface, or do you have to be using a newsreader to create quoted
          lines?

Sorry I missed this part. Yes the web forum interface doesn't
          automatically quote text. You can though manually quote text by
          prefixing each quoted line with a greater than sign followed by a space,
          as you would in plain text email.

Chami