Previewing PHP in Tools on Windows XP

• Advertisement ( why? )

dfoy, 21st Dec 2012 5:18 pm

I work on a web site that resides in a folder inside the Dropbox folder on the desktop of two computers, one in my office and the other a laptop. I use Expression Web 4 and I'm used to being able to work on the site anywhere, including previewing PHP and Javascript as well as HTML.

For obvious reasons I'm looking for a replacement editor. It is a faint hope that I might even be able to have similar preview functionality, but I'm guessing that's out of the question with HTML-Kit Tools.

I'd be happy if I could just preview PHP on my desktop computer, but it isn't working.

I have HTML-Kit Tools installed and working correctly on my office computer. I have XAMPP installed and working correctly on the same computer's C drive (C:/xampp).

I find the HTML-Kit on-line Help/User Guide not very helpful. I think I'm doing what it directs, but obviously I'm not, because I can't preview PHP using the HTML-Kit preview button even though it works fine if I enter the URL manually into the browser bar (http://localhost/filename.php).

My questions:
    1: Will I succeed if I put all my web site documents inside the XAMPP htdocs folder? Inside the Tools folder?
    2: Is there documentation somewhere that gives clearer instructions than what I find in Help/User Guide?
    For example, that illustrates and describes the current HTML-Kit Tools user interface as it actually appears now rather than as it used to appear? I'm obviously interpreting the instructions wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.