Preview not showing CSS updates

• Advertisement ( why? )

Brady, 11th Nov 2013 7:23 am

I downloaded HTML-Kit Tools in September 2013 and have been using this software daily with no issues until now. I have my html file and my linked css file both open from the same folder and any changes to the css file do not show up in the Preview function. If I close both files and reopen them, only then do the changes appear. I am taking an introductory html course and I am new to HTML Kit Tools so hopefully it is something simple to fix.....I have an assignment due!

• Dave P, 11th Nov 2013 7:48 am

On 11/11/2013 8:23 AM, Brady wrote:

I downloaded HTML-Kit Tools in September 2013 and have been using
      this software daily with no issues until now. I have my html file and
      my linked css file both open from the same folder and any changes to
      the css file do not show up in the Preview function. If I close both
      files and reopen them, only then do the changes appear. I am taking
      an introductory html course and I am new to HTML Kit Tools so
      hopefully it is something simple to fix.....I have an assignment
      due!

I'm not sure exactly what steps you are taking when you expect the
      edited CSS file to be read, but my procedure gore as follows:
      1) edit the CSS file and save it
      2) If the HTML file is in preview mode, select edit mode, then re-select
      preview mode.

That works for me.

Dave Pyles

• Dave P, 11th Nov 2013 8:43 am

On 11/11/2013 8:48 AM, Dave Pyles wrote:

On 11/11/2013 8:23 AM, Brady wrote:

I downloaded HTML-Kit Tools in September 2013 and have been using
        this software daily with no issues until now. I have my html file and
        my linked css file both open from the same folder and any changes to
        the css file do not show up in the Preview function. If I close both
        files and reopen them, only then do the changes appear. I am taking
        an introductory html course and I am new to HTML Kit Tools so
        hopefully it is something simple to fix.....I have an assignment
        due!

I'm not sure exactly what steps you are taking when you expect the
        edited CSS file to be read, but my procedure gore as follows:
        1) edit the CSS file and save it
        2) If the HTML file is in preview mode, select edit mode, then re-select
        preview mode.

That works for me.

Dave Pyles

"gore" should have been "goes"
        Dave Pyles

• Brady, 11th Nov 2013 10:22 am

Thanks so much! That does not work. The only thing that works is to close both files and reopen them.

• HTML-Kit Support, 11th Nov 2013 11:31 am

On 11/11/2013 10:22 AM, Brady wrote:

Thanks so much! That does not work. The only thing that works is to
            close both files and reopen them.

Hi Brady,

The steps Dave mentioned should work.

Are you using the latest build? If not could you try 20131020 and see if
            you still have this issue? Also, which preview mode are you using?

Chami

• Brady, 11th Nov 2013 3:32 pm

I do not know which preview mode I am using. This editor is new to me and I am editing html and css files and kind of picking up the editor functions as I go. Across the bottom of the screen I am using it has Edit Preview and Tidy tabs/buttons. I am basically using (or was using) those 3 functions to edit and create my assignments. So I open my two files. Then I edit them, save them and use those 3 edit functions to edit and test. If you can tell me how to change or identify my preview mode, I

And also, how do I try the latest build?

Thanks again for the help!!

• HTML-Kit Support, 11th Nov 2013 4:13 pm

On 11/11/2013 3:32 PM, Brady wrote:

I do not know which preview mode I am using. This editor is new to me
                and I am editing html and css files and kind of picking up the editor
                functions as I go. Across the bottom of the screen I am using it has
                Edit Preview and Tidy tabs/buttons. I am basically using (or was
                using) those 3 functions to edit and create my assignments. So I open
                my two files. Then I edit them, save them and use those 3 edit
                functions to edit and test. If you can tell me how to change or
                identify my preview mode, I

I see. You're using the Preview tab. You can also try Active Preview
                button on the bottom right-hand corner (or "View > Preview > Active
                Preview (landscape)"). "View > Preview > Active Preview (classic)" is
                another option.

If one preview reloads and the other doesn't, it might be a caching
                issue. I'll add an option for this.

If you're using the trial you're probably using the latest build but
                registered users can download it from:

http://www.htmlkit.com/assistant/

Chami

• Brady, 12th Nov 2013 6:56 am

Thank you. I am not using the trial, I purchased this software in September 2013. I downloaded 20131020 and the problem still persists. I can see CSS updates in Active Preview but not by using Preview Tab mode. Also, sometimes (not consistently) when I use the Active Preview Mode and then try Preview Tab mode the updates are present. I can only assume then that this is a Windows 7 caching issue?

• Charles, 12th Nov 2013 10:28 am

On 11/11/2013 5:13 PM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

On 11/11/2013 3:32 PM, Brady wrote:

I do not know which preview mode I am using. This editor is new to me
                  and I am editing html and css files and kind of picking up the editor
                  functions as I go. Across the bottom of the screen I am using it has
                  Edit Preview and Tidy tabs/buttons. I am basically using (or was
                  using) those 3 functions to edit and create my assignments. So I open
                  my two files. Then I edit them, save them and use those 3 edit
                  functions to edit and test. If you can tell me how to change or
                  identify my preview mode, I

I see. You're using the Preview tab. You can also try Active Preview
                  button on the bottom right-hand corner (or "View > Preview > Active
                  Preview (landscape)"). "View > Preview > Active Preview (classic)" is
                  another option.

If one preview reloads and the other doesn't, it might be a caching
                  issue. I'll add an option for this.

If you're using the trial you're probably using the latest build but
                  registered users can download it from:

http://www.htmlkit.com/assistant/

Chami

I have experienced something similar. When I do, I click on the Active
                  Preview and it correctly shows even after I turn Active off. I have
                  also found that it might be necessary to cycle through the Edit >
                  Preview a second time. It always seems to have worked the second time,
                  provided there is not a flag indicating an unsaved CSS file. :-)

Since I always got it to work, I never mentioned it.

Charles

• Brady, 13th Nov 2013 6:55 am

Only the Active Preview works now. Preview Tab does not work at all. I assume it is a Windows 7 issue that appeared after a Windows update.

• Charles, 13th Nov 2013 10:28 am

On 11/13/2013 7:55 AM, Brady wrote:

Only the Active Preview works now. Preview Tab does not work at all. I assume it is a Windows 7 issue that appeared after a Windows update.

I don't think it has anything to do with a Windows 7 update. My OS is
                      up to date as well as the latest HK Tools. No problem with it not
                      previewing at all.

Charles

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Nov 2013 1:51 pm

On 11/13/2013 6:55 AM, Brady wrote:

Only the Active Preview works now. Preview Tab does not work at all.
                      I assume it is a Windows 7 issue that appeared after a Windows
                      update.

Is there anything special about the HTML + CSS combination you're using?
                      Could you maybe send me a small demo that I could try here?

http://www.htmlkit.com/contact/

Thanks again!

Chami

• Brady, 11th Nov 2013 4:02 pm

Well when trying to ascertain what Preview Mode I was in, I changed to Active Preview Mode and the updates are showing up in Active Preview (landscape) mode. I think it is very obvious, I don't know what I am doing. Thanks for your help.

• Brady, 11th Nov 2013 4:13 pm

Sorry just to confirm. CSS updates only show up when using Active Preview Mode. When I use the tabs to flip between Edit and Preview, the updates do NOT update and show in the Preview window.

• Guest, 25th Dec 2013 7:52 pm

• Guest, 25th Dec 2013 7:52 pm