Persistent Processes

• Advertisement ( why? )

jackz, 2nd Nov 2012 2:51 am

I've got a new computer running Windows 7, 16gB, dual-quad, which I thought would be up to the task of running HTML-Kit Tools with no problem. So I installed Version 20120815 and it came up just fine.

When I went to run it the second time it would not start. I tried several times before I checked the Task Manager and saw that all I was doing was generating pairs of HKTools.exe*32 processes. After deleting them all, the program started and ran normally.

When I exited this time I checked the Task Manager and saw that the processes did not go away, i.e., I'm not getting HKTools to exit properly. So I tried to exit different ways, Alt-F4, File/Exit, window closure, etc., and all methods leave the HKTools processes running, which blocks restart of the program.

So right now, if I want to run HKTools I have to manually kill two processes each time when I quit. I suppose I could make a batch file that runs HKTools, then when I exit will kill all HKTools.exe processes, but I haven't tried that. Besides, I don't think it's a reasonable requirement.

My system has never run HKTools before, it's factory-new, and hasn't yet had all my other programs installed, though I've managed to get a number of them running. It's an ASUS Essentio with nothing special other than that it's big and fast.

Anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Thanks.

• jackz, 2nd Nov 2012 3:04 am

Never mind!....

It turns out that I've been using Team Viewer to control the new computer from my old one to make the transition easier as I can copy data and configuration files across and place them easily from a single screen.

Somehow, Team Viewer running in the background interferes with HKTools exiting properly. I don't know why it should pick on this program, but it does. No other program that I've seen so far does this.

All it means is that I shouldn't run HKTools remotely via Team Viewer unless I want to manually kill processes. Go figure....

Sorry for the false alarm.

Jack

• HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Nov 2012 1:15 pm

On 11/2/2012 3:04 AM, jackz wrote:

Never mind!....

It turns out that I've been using Team Viewer to control the new
        computer from my old one to make the transition easier as I can copy
        data and configuration files across and place them easily from a
        single screen.

Somehow, Team Viewer running in the background interferes with
        HKTools exiting properly. I don't know why it should pick on this
        program, but it does. No other program that I've seen so far does
        this.

All it means is that I shouldn't run HKTools remotely via Team Viewer
        unless I want to manually kill processes. Go figure....

Sorry for the false alarm.

Jack

Hi Jack,

No problem. Thank you for the heads up and the follow up.

Although I don't remember having this problem on the rare occasions when
        I've run Tools through TeamViewer, I haven't used it in a while so I'll
        add this to my list of tests.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Chami