New to HTML-Kit. Are Html and Preview Panes Truly Interactive?

• Advertisement ( why? )

Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 2:48 pm

I am new to HTML-Kit. It's a great editor. However, I cannot see any interaction b/w the Html page and the Preview page. The Preview page keeps floating during editing on the Html page. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your good work

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 3:47 pm

On 2/22/2014 2:48 PM, Yomi wrote:

I am new to HTML-Kit. It's a great editor. However, I cannot see any
      interaction b/w the Html page and the Preview page. The Preview page
      keeps floating during editing on the Html page. What am I doing
      wrong? Thanks for your good work

Hi,

Please make sure that it's in fact HTML-Kit Tools ("Help > About" menu
      option) and press Ctrl+F12. This opens up a landscape preview window
      that updates as you edit.

If you prefer to have the preview on another screen (multi-monitor
      setup, second PC/Mac, tablet or smartphone), check out the Extended
      Preview option on the top menu bar:

http://www.htmlkit.com/blog/preview-in-ipad/

Hope this helps!

Chami

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 4:30 pm

The Preview Window still floats each time I edit in html window. The Preview needs to be stable during editing of html.

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 4:48 pm

On 2/22/2014 4:30 PM, Yomi wrote:

The Preview Window still floats each time I edit in html window. The
          Preview needs to be stable during editing of html.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by float. Did you mean scroll?

If you meant scroll, click inside preview window and scroll to the
          position you want. It'll maintain that position until you make an edit
          that requires the layout to be reset.

Chami

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 5:14 pm

It actually disappears to starting page of Preview doc from whatever page I was editing. I have to re-scroll it back each time to the page I was on editing. Could it be because it is a Trial version?

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 7:18 pm

On 2/22/2014 5:14 PM, Yomi wrote:

It actually disappears to starting page of Preview doc from whatever
              page I was editing. I have to re-scroll it back each time to the page
              I was on editing. Could it be because it is a Trial version?

Except for the time limit, it's a fully functional trial so that
              probably isn't an issue.

Here's a quick video showing how it works:

http://www.htmlkit.com/blog/active-preview-landscape/

As you'll see in the video the preview tries to maintain position, but
              certain changes to the layout will cause it to reload and scroll to the top.

Chami

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Chami
                I tried all, no difference. What are the changes in the layout that can cause the reload and scroll to top?

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 11:53 pm

On 2/22/2014 8:38 PM, Yomi wrote:

Thanks Chami
                  I tried all, no difference. What are the changes in the layout that
                  can cause the reload and scroll to top?

Hmm... it depends... I can't think of a good rule of thumb. If you add
                  or remove markup that cause top layout to reposition then the preview
                  might scroll to the top. Editing or styling text, in most cases,
                  shouldn't reposition the preview.

A WYSIWYG editor might work better if you need the preview to maintain
                  position all the time. Being a code editor, HTML-Kit can't fully control
                  preview position.

Chami

• Yomi, 23rd Feb 2014 12:10 am

Thanks Chami.

• Yomi, 23rd Feb 2014 10:13 pm

Hint:
                      This may help identify the problem. When I am in the Untitled page, it wiggles much less and the Preview does re-appear almost immediately. But once I save, it disappears to beginning of document being edited.

• HTML-Kit Support, 24th Feb 2014 6:47 am

On 2/23/2014 10:13 PM, Yomi wrote:

Hint:
                        This may help identify the problem. When I am in the Untitled page,
                        it wiggles much less and the Preview does re-appear almost
                        immediately. But once I save, it disappears to beginning of document
                        being edited.

Yes, it starts a new preview session when you save a document. If you
                        then move preview position it'll maintain it as you see in the video.

Chami

• monkey1, 25th Feb 2014 9:13 am

HI I have had problems with my programmer - so have decided to create my web site and an ecommerce site myself - and downloaded HTML- kit with trial tools.

Question is - My friend designed top, footer left and right sides with everything i want ( i have godaddy server with lots of files on) He designed it using photoshop and something else - before I start and maybe pull my hair out.

1,Can I upload this directly
                          2. Does it have to be broken down or in a special format like png or something
                          3. I want to have a slide show in the middle only on the front page of 4 photos
                          4. I already have a page made in wordpress but not finished , can I highlight and copy certain codes from my files in go-daddy and put them on your program i downloaded and view the site on my desktop without going to my url?
                          5. I do want this site to be on mobiles as well, is there a code that I can just pop in (and where do I pop it it) whilst I create the site or do I have to use yeoman or something?

It looks s easy but I am envisaging problems - that usually make me give up - so it's good to know I can get answers pretty quickly to keep me at it.

Thank you very much and I do hope at last I have downloaded the write program to get my site on line at last.

monkey1

• monkey1, 25th Feb 2014 10:22 am

I am experimenting and downloaded the code from my site and then installed it on a blank page - it will not preview - it is in javascript - i also installed the js - to learn I need to know what is wrong with this script so that I can edit it and my other pages to create a similar site from scratch. here is the code.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
                            <head>
                            <title>Untitled</title>
                            </head>
                            <body>
                            <!DOCTYPE html>

<script type="text/javascript"><!--

// 
                            -->
                            </script>

<html lang="en-US" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" xmlns:og="http://ogp.me/ns#" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<!--

<![endif]

-->
                            <head></head>
                            <body class="page page-id-336 page-template-default custom-background masthead-fixed footer-widgets singular">
                                <div id="page" class="hfeed site">
                                    <header id="masthead" class="site-header" role="banner">
                                        <div class="header-main">
                                            <h1 class="site-title">
                                                <a rel="home" href="http://firstclassskippers.com/"></a>
                                            </h1>
                                            <div class="search-toggle"></div>
                                            <nav id="primary-navigation" class="site-navigation primary-navigation" role="navigation"></nav>
                                        </div>
                                        <div id="search-container" class="search-box-wrapper hide"></div>
                                    </header>
                                    <!--

#masthead

-->
                                    <div id="main" class="site-main"></div>
                                    <!--

#main

-->
                                    <footer id="colophon" class="site-footer" role="contentinfo"></footer>
                                    <!--

#colophon

-->
                                </div>
                                <!--

#page

-->
                                <pre>&lt;script src="http://firstclassskippers.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/js/editor.js?ver=2.5.3-5249" type="text/javascript"&gt;&lt;!--

-->
                            </script></pre>
                            <pre><script src="http://firstclassskippers.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/js/jquery.form.min.js?ver=3.46.0-2013.11.21" type="text/javascript"><!--
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            <pre><script type="text/javascript"><!--
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            <pre><script src="http://firstclassskippers.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/js/scripts.js?ver=3.6" type="text/javascript"><!--
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            <pre><script src="http://firstclassskippers.com/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.masonry.min.js?ver=2.1.05" type="text/javascript"><!--
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            <pre><script src="http://firstclassskippers.com/wp-content/themes/twentyfourteen/js/functions.js?ver=20131209" type="text/javascript"><!--
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            -->
                            </script></pre>
                            <div id="fb-root" class="fb_reset"></div>
                            </body>

</html>
                            </body>
                            </html>

Thanks

• HTML-Kit Support, 25th Feb 2014 10:49 am

On 2/25/2014 10:22 AM, monkey1 wrote:

I am experimenting and downloaded the code from my site and then
                              installed it on a blank page - it will not preview - it is in
                              javascript - i also installed the js - to learn I need to know what
                              is wrong with this script so that I can edit it and my other pages to
                              create a similar site from scratch. here is the code.

Since this isn't a HTML-Kit question, please use the forum dedicated to
                              web design related questions:

http://www.html-kit.com/forums/web-design/

I know you've said you had problems with your programmer, but unless I'm
                              mistaken it sounds like you might need someone to help with basic
                              coding. It's not easy to pick up these things in a day or two over forum
                              postings.

So if your goal is learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript, search for tutorials:

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/beginners

On the other hand, if your goal is getting your site up and running as
                              soon as possible, check out Shopify-like services.

Hope this helps. Not trying to ignore your questions, just trying to
                              offer what I think are practical answers.

Chami

• HTML-Kit Support, 25th Feb 2014 10:31 am

On 2/25/2014 9:13 AM, monkey1 wrote:

HI I have had problems with my programmer - so have decided to
                            create my web site and an ecommerce site myself - and downloaded
                            HTML- kit with trial tools.

Question is - My friend designed top, footer left and right sides
                            with everything i want ( i have godaddy server with lots of files on)
                            He designed it using photoshop and something else - before I start
                            and maybe pull my hair out.

2. Does it have to be broken down or in a special format like png or
                            something
                            3. I want to have a slide show in the middle only on the front page
                            of 4 photos
                            4. I already have a page made in wordpress but not finished , can I
                            highlight and copy certain codes from my files in go-daddy and put
                            them on your program i downloaded and view the site on my desktop
                            without going to my url?
                            5. I do want this site to be on mobiles as well, is there a code
                            that I can just pop in (and where do I pop it it) whilst I create the
                            site or do I have to use yeoman or something?

It looks s easy but I am envisaging problems - that usually make me
                            give up - so it's good to know I can get answers pretty quickly to
                            keep me at it.

Thank you very much and I do hope at last I have downloaded the
                            write program to get my site on line at last.

monkey1

Hi,

No biggie but please post new questions on a new thread.

If you've never hand coded a web page in HTML, HTML-Kit probably isn't
                            the tool you're looking for. You've asked fairly general questions that
                            aren't really related to HTML-Kit itself. Although you can learn to code
                            and do these things with HTML-Kit, I don't know if that's your goal.

If you're in a hurry, you might look for web hosts that make it easy to
                            create ecommerce site with a few pages. GoDaddy has a do it yourself
                            site builder or you could try a service like Shopify or Squarespace.

Chami

• Yomi, 10th Mar 2014 1:58 am

Hi Chami
                              I have now purchased HTML-Kit. However, I am still not able to edit with the Preview pane stable. It disappears after every editing stroke. I tried your suggestions, what need I do?

• HTML-Kit Support, 10th Mar 2014 3:22 am

On 3/10/2014 1:58 AM, Yomi wrote:

Hi Chami
                                I have now purchased HTML-Kit. However, I am still not able to edit
                                with the Preview pane stable. It disappears after every editing
                                stroke. I tried your suggestions, what need I do?

Hi,

I appreciate it very much but as I mentioned before, the trial is the
                                same as the full version except for the time limit. If it didn't work
                                for you in the trial, then it's not going to work for you in the
                                registered version I'm afraid.

I'll contact you by email about arranging a refund.

Chami

• Yomi, 10th Mar 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Chami
                                  I realize your good intentions. I am not necessarily interested in a refund since I still use it on temporary Untitled and unsaved files. Just wondering if you could rectify such a seemingly minor defect to have it work with regular files..

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 4:30 pm

The Preview Window still floats each time I edit in html window. The Preview needs to be stable during editing of html.

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 4:48 pm

On 2/22/2014 4:30 PM, Yomi wrote:

The Preview Window still floats each time I edit in html window. The
        Preview needs to be stable during editing of html.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by float. Did you mean scroll?

If you meant scroll, click inside preview window and scroll to the
        position you want. It'll maintain that position until you make an edit
        that requires the layout to be reset.

Chami

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 5:14 pm

It actually disappears to starting page of Preview doc from whatever page I was editing. I have to re-scroll it back each time to the page I was on editing. Could it be because it is a Trial version?

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 7:18 pm

On 2/22/2014 5:14 PM, Yomi wrote:

It actually disappears to starting page of Preview doc from whatever
            page I was editing. I have to re-scroll it back each time to the page
            I was on editing. Could it be because it is a Trial version?

Except for the time limit, it's a fully functional trial so that
            probably isn't an issue.

Here's a quick video showing how it works:

As you'll see in the video the preview tries to maintain position, but
            certain changes to the layout will cause it to reload and scroll to the top.

Chami

• Yomi, 22nd Feb 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Chami
              I tried all, no difference. What are the changes in the layout that can cause the reload and scroll to top?

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Feb 2014 11:53 pm

On 2/22/2014 8:38 PM, Yomi wrote:

Thanks Chami
                I tried all, no difference. What are the changes in the layout that
                can cause the reload and scroll to top?

Hmm... it depends... I can't think of a good rule of thumb. If you add
                or remove markup that cause top layout to reposition then the preview
                might scroll to the top. Editing or styling text, in most cases,
                shouldn't reposition the preview.

A WYSIWYG editor might work better if you need the preview to maintain
                position all the time. Being a code editor, HTML-Kit can't fully control
                preview position.

Chami

• Yomi, 23rd Feb 2014 12:10 am

Thanks Chami.

• Yomi, 23rd Feb 2014 10:13 pm

Hint:
                    This may help identify the problem. When I am in the Untitled page, it wiggles much less and the Preview does re-appear almost immediately. But once I save, it disappears to beginning of document being edited.

• HTML-Kit Support, 24th Feb 2014 6:47 am

On 2/23/2014 10:13 PM, Yomi wrote:

Hint:
                      This may help identify the problem. When I am in the Untitled page,
                      it wiggles much less and the Preview does re-appear almost
                      immediately. But once I save, it disappears to beginning of document
                      being edited.

Yes, it starts a new preview session when you save a document. If you
                      then move preview position it'll maintain it as you see in the video.

Chami

• monkey1, 25th Feb 2014 9:13 am

HI I have had problems with my programmer - so have decided to create my web site and an ecommerce site myself - and downloaded HTML- kit with trial tools.

Question is - My friend designed top, footer left and right sides with everything i want ( i have godaddy server with lots of files on) He designed it using photoshop and something else - before I start and maybe pull my hair out.

2. Does it have to be broken down or in a special format like png or something
                        3. I want to have a slide show in the middle only on the front page of 4 photos
                        4. I already have a page made in wordpress but not finished , can I highlight and copy certain codes from my files in go-daddy and put them on your program i downloaded and view the site on my desktop without going to my url?
                        5. I do want this site to be on mobiles as well, is there a code that I can just pop in (and where do I pop it it) whilst I create the site or do I have to use yeoman or something?

It looks s easy but I am envisaging problems - that usually make me give up - so it's good to know I can get answers pretty quickly to keep me at it.

Thank you very much and I do hope at last I have downloaded the write program to get my site on line at last.

monkey1

• HTML-Kit Support, 25th Feb 2014 10:31 am

On 2/25/2014 9:13 AM, monkey1 wrote:

HI I have had problems with my programmer - so have decided to
                          create my web site and an ecommerce site myself - and downloaded
                          HTML- kit with trial tools.

Question is - My friend designed top, footer left and right sides
                          with everything i want ( i have godaddy server with lots of files on)
                          He designed it using photoshop and something else - before I start
                          and maybe pull my hair out.

2. Does it have to be broken down or in a special format like png or
                          something
                          3. I want to have a slide show in the middle only on the front page
                          of 4 photos
                          4. I already have a page made in wordpress but not finished , can I
                          highlight and copy certain codes from my files in go-daddy and put
                          them on your program i downloaded and view the site on my desktop
                          without going to my url?
                          5. I do want this site to be on mobiles as well, is there a code
                          that I can just pop in (and where do I pop it it) whilst I create the
                          site or do I have to use yeoman or something?

It looks s easy but I am envisaging problems - that usually make me
                          give up - so it's good to know I can get answers pretty quickly to
                          keep me at it.

Thank you very much and I do hope at last I have downloaded the
                          write program to get my site on line at last.

monkey1

Hi,

No biggie but please post new questions on a new thread.

If you've never hand coded a web page in HTML, HTML-Kit probably isn't
                          the tool you're looking for. You've asked fairly general questions that
                          aren't really related to HTML-Kit itself. Although you can learn to code
                          and do these things with HTML-Kit, I don't know if that's your goal.

If you're in a hurry, you might look for web hosts that make it easy to
                          create ecommerce site with a few pages. GoDaddy has a do it yourself
                          site builder or you could try a service like Shopify or Squarespace.

Chami

• Yomi, 10th Mar 2014 1:58 am

Hi Chami
                            I have now purchased HTML-Kit. However, I am still not able to edit with the Preview pane stable. It disappears after every editing stroke. I tried your suggestions, what need I do?

• HTML-Kit Support, 10th Mar 2014 3:22 am

On 3/10/2014 1:58 AM, Yomi wrote:

Hi Chami
                              I have now purchased HTML-Kit. However, I am still not able to edit
                              with the Preview pane stable. It disappears after every editing
                              stroke. I tried your suggestions, what need I do?

Hi,

I appreciate it very much but as I mentioned before, the trial is the
                              same as the full version except for the time limit. If it didn't work
                              for you in the trial, then it's not going to work for you in the
                              registered version I'm afraid.

I'll contact you by email about arranging a refund.

Chami

• Yomi, 10th Mar 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Chami
                                I realize your good intentions. I am not necessarily interested in a refund since I still use it on temporary Untitled and unsaved files. Just wondering if you could rectify such a seemingly minor defect to have it work with regular files..

• HTML-Kit Support, 10th Mar 2014 2:51 pm

On 3/10/2014 1:54 PM, Yomi wrote:

Hi Chami
                                  I realize your good intentions. I am not necessarily interested in a
                                  refund since I still use it on temporary Untitled and unsaved files.
                                  Just wondering if you could rectify such a seemingly minor defect to
                                  have it work with regular files..

I've tried to capture how live preview works in this video with a real
                                  HTML page from a Bootstrap template (which I'd consider a real-world
                                  case) and it maintains position once the preview is scrolled:

You're welcome to ask others on this forum about their experience but
                                  the preview works fine for me in day to day work. Layout changes do
                                  sometimes reset preview position which is to be expected in non-WYSIWYG
                                  editing even in external browsers. When that happens I scroll the
                                  preview back again to where I need it.

I also looked at the screenshot of the HTML file you sent me. It has CSS
                                  issues unrelated to HTML-Kit that may cause problems in various browsers
                                  (not just in live preview). If you'd like someone on the forum to take a
                                  look at HTML+CSS, please feel free to post the URL to a test page or
                                  your site.

If there's something specific to HTML-Kit Tools I'll be glad to take a
                                  look and try to help. At least up to now I've only seen issues outside
                                  of HTML-Kit. If you have a reproducible case please point to the exact
                                  steps along with the necessary test files so we could see what's happening.

My refund offer stands though so please don't hesitate to email or post
                                  here if you change your mind.

Chami