New Kit version(201306015) not responding

• Advertisement ( why? )

NeilBellingham, 27th Jul 2013 3:05 am

Hi

I recently upgraded to the 20130615 version. Since doing so the program repeatedly freezes. This normally seems to happen if I click away to anther window then try to come back. I am on Windows 8.

Is it possible to revert to the previous version as this one is simply not stable enough to use? If so, where can I download a copy? Only the latest version seems to be available from the registered downloads area.

Kind regards,
    Neil Bellingham

• HTML-Kit Support, 27th Jul 2013 12:11 pm

On 7/27/2013 3:05 AM, NeilBellingham wrote:

Hi

I recently upgraded to the 20130615 version. Since doing so the
      program repeatedly freezes. This normally seems to happen if I click
      away to anther window then try to come back. I am on Windows 8.

Is it possible to revert to the previous version as this one is
      simply not stable enough to use? If so, where can I download a copy?
      Only the latest version seems to be available from the registered
      downloads area.

Kind regards,
      Neil Bellingham

Hi Neil,

Thank you for posting this. Would you mind giving the TreeHouse build
      20130716 I've just posted a try? It's basically 20130615 with a possible
      fix which should at least help troubleshoot. If this doesn't help I'll
      get you the previous version.

Thanks again.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 29th Jul 2013 12:55 pm

Chami,
        Tried an install of the 20130615 version this morning and had all sorts of problems on my XPSP3 machine.
        If I started Tools at the end of the installation, the program worked for about 30 seconds before I got a hard freeze.
        Used Task Manager to shut down and then started the program again with a limited amount of useability and then a freeze after about 45 seconds to 1 minute.
        Main problem in both instances was that the processor ran up to 50-51% usage and held there while Tools was running.
        I tried the new Treehouse build next, but it froze up on each attempt to start and, again, the processor ramped up and held at the 50-51% range.

I was able to revert to the 20130205 Treehouse I've been using for a couple of months, so I'm not Tools-less.

Can't come up with much more information except that.

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 29th Jul 2013 1:21 pm

On 7/29/2013 12:55 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
          Tried an install of the 20130615 version this morning and had all
          sorts of problems on my XPSP3 machine.
          If I started Tools at the end of the installation, the program worked
          for about 30 seconds before I got a hard freeze.
          Used Task Manager to shut down and then started the program again
          with a limited amount of useability and then a freeze after about 45
          seconds to 1 minute.
          Main problem in both instances was that the processor ran up to
          50-51% usage and held there while Tools was running.
          I tried the new Treehouse build next, but it froze up on each attempt
          to start and, again, the processor ramped up and held at the 50-51%
          range.

I was able to revert to the 20130205 Treehouse I've been using for a
          couple of months, so I'm not Tools-less.

Can't come up with much more information except that.

boB

Hi boB,

On XP, please try disabling "Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Check for
          updates" in the latest TreeHouse build. Let me know if this helps any.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 31st Jul 2013 11:59 am

Chami,
            Tried the fix you suggested this morning.
            No go.
            Started Tools at the end of installation and then changed the Check for Updates preference immediately.
            Checked Task Manager and it was pulling 50% of the processor and then it started to ramp up a bit to 52 and then cycle up and down, never going lower then 45% and never higher than 51%.
            All I can really point to is that it is the second instance of Tools listed in the Task Manager that is doing the cycling, not the first.

Sorry can't be of more help.

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 31st Jul 2013 12:14 pm

On 7/31/2013 11:59 AM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
              Tried the fix you suggested this morning.
              No go.
              Started Tools at the end of installation and then changed the Check
              for Updates preference immediately.
              Checked Task Manager and it was pulling 50% of the processor and then
              it started to ramp up a bit to 52 and then cycle up and down, never
              going lower then 45% and never higher than 51%.
              All I can really point to is that it is the second instance of Tools
              listed in the Task Manager that is doing the cycling, not the first.

Sorry can't be of more help.

boB

You've helped a lot boB. I know you stay busy and I appreciate your time.

If the setting was saved (if you set it and exit), restarting with it
              disabled should help things at least if my guess is pointing the right
              way. This seems to be an issue on some XP systems. I'll do some more
              tests to try to reproduce it.

Chami

• NeilBellingham, 29th Jul 2013 1:26 pm

Will do. Am about to go away but will report back in a few days.

Fingers-crossed!

Many thanks,
        Neil

• HTML-Kit Support, 29th Jul 2013 1:28 pm

On 7/29/2013 1:26 PM, NeilBellingham wrote:

Will do. Am about to go away but will report back in a few days.

Fingers-crossed!

Many thanks,
          Neil

I appreciate Neil! Talk with you in a few days.

Chami

• rodfarias, 2nd Aug 2013 12:36 pm

Chami

I have the same problem as boB using XP sp3.
            I can add that the program immediately freezes at "Save as...".

Rodrigo

• wavesource, 2nd Aug 2013 5:31 pm

Can confirm this behaviour.

Was using the TreeHouse previous build (from June I think) and noticed this behaviour, just upgraded to latest stable release, bug still there. Just download Treehouse latest build, behaviour still there. Turned off checking for updates in preferences, rebooted Tools, still there.

However, I think it pertains to when the application loses focus to another program. I opened a project, reached out by FTP to tickle a file, switched to Firefox to check something, then that's where Tools hangs. I thought it was the FTP that did it, but if I restart it and do the same thing, open FTP and open a remote file, I can still edit and save it and work with the session provided I don't swithc focus or anything else tries to grab focus.

This is on Windows 7.

• HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Aug 2013 8:21 pm

On 8/2/2013 12:36 PM, rodfarias wrote:

Chami

I have the same problem as boB using XP sp3.
              I can add that the program immediately freezes at "Save as...".

Rodrigo

Thank you for the feedback guys! Could you please try the new TreeHouse
              build 20130719?

Chami

• Marc49, 3rd Aug 2013 4:13 am

Hi Chami,

I had similar problems as mentioned by the guys above (under XP SP3). They seem to be solved with the new TreeHouse build. I installed the new build this morning and opened - edited - saved - previewed several files without problems; HTM-Kit doesn't freeze anymore. Also checked the CPU- and memory-performance in the Task Manager: all OK.
                Thanks! I am a happy user again.

Marc

• bill, 3rd Aug 2013 6:44 am

On 8/3/2013 5:13 AM, Marc49 wrote:

Hi Chami,

I had similar problems as mentioned by the guys above (under XP SP3). They seem to be solved with the new TreeHouse build. I installed the new build this morning and opened - edited - saved - previewed several files without problems; HTM-Kit doesn't freeze anymore. Also checked the CPU- and memory-performance in the Task Manager: all OK.
                  Thanks! I am a happy user again.

Marc

This is such an interesting and complex problem that I would
                  welcome a brief description of the problem and how you (Chami)
                  fixed it.

bill

• Marc49, 3rd Aug 2013 11:26 am

Bill,

I can only give you a description about the problems I had with version 20130615 and TreeHouse build 20130716. From the moment I openened a (local) file for editing, CPU-usage went up from a few % to 25...26% and HTML-Kit just freezed. No editing possible, no preview possible, HTML-Kit could not be closed (only by means of the Task Manager).

Don't ask me what caused this; I'm not smart enough to investigate... I just re-installed my old HTML-Kit version (2011...) to be able to work again.

With TreeHouse build 20130719 the problems are gone. If anyone can answer what has changed in this build, it is Chami.

Marc

• HTML-Kit Support, 5th Aug 2013 8:55 am

On 8/3/2013 11:26 AM, Marc49 wrote:

Bill,

I can only give you a description about the problems I had with
                      version 20130615 and TreeHouse build 20130716. From the moment I
                      openened a (local) file for editing, CPU-usage went up from a few %
                      to 25...26% and HTML-Kit just freezed. No editing possible, no
                      preview possible, HTML-Kit could not be closed (only by means of the
                      Task Manager).

Don't ask me what caused this; I'm not smart enough to investigate...
                      I just re-installed my old HTML-Kit version (2011...) to be able to
                      work again.

With TreeHouse build 20130719 the problems are gone. If anyone can
                      answer what has changed in this build, it is Chami.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for checking out this build and for your great
                      feedback! I'm happy to hear that it's working well for you :)

To answer Bill's question... it sounds like (still testing) this is
                      related to multi-threading code added in 0615 build. I didn't run into
                      any problems with it or TreeHouse builds leading up to it but some
                      incompatibility seems to be surfacing on some systems. This is what I'm
                      testing right now.

For now though, if anyone's having problems with 20130615 (mostly on XP)
                      I'd recommend installing TreeHouse build 20130719 or later.

Thanks again Marc!

Chami

• bill, 6th Aug 2013 8:31 am

On 8/5/2013 9:55 AM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

To answer Bill's question... it sounds like (still testing) this
                        is related to multi-threading code added in 0615 build. I didn't
                        run into any problems with it or TreeHouse builds leading up to
                        it but some incompatibility seems to be surfacing on some
                        systems. This is what I'm testing right now.

For now though, if anyone's having problems with 20130615 (mostly
                        on XP) I'd recommend installing TreeHouse build 20130719 or later.

Thanks again Marc!

Chami

THanks Chami
                        Thats why I am glad you are you.

bill

• NeilBellingham, 8th Aug 2013 2:25 am

Hi Chami,

20130716 still caused problems but 20130719 seems stable.

Many thanks,
            Neil

• HTML-Kit Support, 8th Aug 2013 10:39 am

On 8/8/2013 2:25 AM, NeilBellingham wrote:

Hi Chami,

20130716 still caused problems but 20130719 seems stable.

Many thanks,
              Neil

Whoohoo! :)

Thank you Neil. I appreciate it.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 9th Aug 2013 12:52 pm

Chami,
                Didn't have time until today to try the 20130719 build, but wanted to let you know that it's been running for awhile now on my XP SP3 machine with no problems.
                This same build is also running well on my Windows 7 machine.

Think you nailed it!

Thanks,
                boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 9th Aug 2013 10:40 pm

On 8/9/2013 12:52 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                  Didn't have time until today to try the 20130719 build, but wanted to
                  let you know that it's been running for awhile now on my XP SP3
                  machine with no problems.
                  This same build is also running well on my Windows 7 machine.

Think you nailed it!

Thanks,
                  boB

Fantastic! Thank you for letting me know boB and for the help.

Chami