Japanese Characters

• Advertisement ( why? )

ruairi, 4th Feb 2015 10:08 am

Hello,

I am using version 20141214 and need to edit a web page with Japanese text. I changed the file encoding to UTF-8 Unicode, but the Japanese characters do not display properly in the editor window. Can you advise on what settings I need to change ? Thank you,
    Ruairi

• HTML-Kit Support, 4th Feb 2015 11:22 am

On 2/4/2015 10:08 AM, ruairi wrote:

Hello,

I am using version 20141214 and need to edit a web page with
      Japanese text. I changed the file encoding to UTF-8 Unicode, but the
      Japanese characters do not display properly in the editor window. Can
      you advise on what settings I need to change ? Thank you,
      Ruairi

Hi Ruairi,

If you haven't already, please try changing the font to Lucida or other
      Unicode font installed on the system? You can do this under "Edit >
      Preferences > Editor."

You might also want to change encoding to UTF-8 under "Edit >
      Preferences > Files" so you wouldn't have to manually pick it on File
      Open dialog each time.

Hope this helps!

Chami

• ruairi, 4th Feb 2015 11:40 am

Thank you for your response. Yes, I had already set UTF-8 via "Edit >
        Preferences > Files". As suggested, I changed the font to Lucida Console 10, but it does solve the problem....any other ideas ?

• HTML-Kit Support, 4th Feb 2015 11:49 am

On 2/4/2015 11:40 AM, ruairi wrote:

Thank you for your response. Yes, I had already set UTF-8 via "Edit
          Preferences > Files". As suggested, I changed the font to Lucida
          Console 10, but it does solve the problem....any other ideas ?

Please try restarting HTML-Kit and selecting a font with Unicode in the
          label ("Edit > Preferences > Editor > Text" and "Select" option). Let me
          know what happens.

Chami

• ruairi, 4th Feb 2015 11:58 am

I selected a few standard Japanese fonts, each time saving the settings and re-starting HTML-Kit , but unfortunately the Japanese characters still do not display....

• HTML-Kit Support, 4th Feb 2015 12:10 pm

On 2/4/2015 11:58 AM, ruairi wrote:

I selected a few standard Japanese fonts, each time saving the
              settings and re-starting HTML-Kit , but unfortunately the Japanese
              characters still do not display....

Hmm... could you drop me an email with one of the files you're editing?

http://www.htmlkit.com/contact/

Chami

• ruairi, 4th Feb 2015 12:39 pm

Sure, no problem -I sent the file via email just now.

• HTML-Kit Support, 4th Feb 2015 2:44 pm

On 2/4/2015 12:39 PM, ruairi wrote:

Sure, no problem -I sent the file via email just now.

Thank you Ruairi. I got your email. Please give me a bit of time to
                  troubleshoot and I'll get back to you.

Chami

• ruairi, 4th Feb 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks Chami. In case it helps with the trouble shooting, here is some additional information: I have been using HTML-Kit Tools for many years (at least 5-6) to edit Japanese language websites. My PC went up in smoke earlier this week, so I had to re-install HTML-Kit Tools on a new PC. It is on this new PC with the re-installed HTML-Kit that the Japanese characters are not displaying properly. The new PC has the same OS (Windows 7) as the old one, so the OS would not seem to be a factor. I don't know what version of HTML-Kit Tools was installed on the old PC, but presumably it was an older one. Maybe this is an issue with newer versions of HTML-Kit Tools ? I look forward tohearing back from you due course. Thank you !

Ruairi

• HTML-Kit Support, 5th Feb 2015 7:53 pm

On 2/4/2015 10:37 PM, ruairi wrote:

Thanks Chami. In case it helps with the trouble shooting, here is
                      some additional information: I have been using HTML-Kit Tools for
                      many years (at least 5-6) to edit Japanese language websites. My PC
                      went up in smoke earlier this week, so I had to re-install HTML-Kit
                      Tools on a new PC. It is on this new PC with the re-installed
                      HTML-Kit that the Japanese characters are not displaying properly.
                      The new PC has the same OS (Windows 7) as the old one, so the OS
                      would not seem to be a factor. I don't know what version of HTML-Kit
                      Tools was installed on the old PC, but presumably it was an older
                      one. Maybe this is an issue with newer versions of HTML-Kit Tools ? I
                      look forward tohearing back from you due course. Thank you !

Ruairi

Hi Ruairi,

In case you see this first... I've emailed you a solution :)

Thank you for the files and please let me know if any other questions
                      come up. Good luck!

Chami