HTML-Kit Tools hangs at startup after update

  • Advertisement ( why? )
     

    prl1862, 20th Aug 2012 5:21 am

    I'm having problems with HTML-Kit Tools hanging at startup after updating to the latest version. When I open the program it begins to start but appears to hang before the right hand Start panel appears. If I look in the Task Manager, there are 2 HKTools.exe *32 processes. One is usign a sensible amount of memory and no CPU. The other is using an excessive amunt of CPU and is eating memory. I allowed it to get to over 1.6GB of private memory before it threw up an Exception dialog. Once it did this, the process died.

    I have uninstalled the program, cleared the program folder, cleared the HKCU registry entry for Chami and reinstalled and still get the same problem. Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

    I'm using 64-bit Windows 7.

    • prl1862, 20th Aug 2012 5:50 am

      I have had to use System Restore to go back to version 20120406 which is the last one that works. I would appreciate some assistance on how to get the latest build working on my system.

      • HTML-Kit Support, 20th Aug 2012 7:31 am

        On 8/20/2012 5:50 AM, prl1862 wrote:

        I have had to use System Restore to go back to version 20120406 which
        is the last one that works. I would appreciate some assistance on how
        to get the latest build working on my system.

        Hi,

        Since I haven't gotten other reports of this let's start with your
        config. Unlike HTML-Kit 292, HTML-Kit Tools doesn't the use registry for
        this so you don't have to mess with it.

        1. Open the folder where HTML-Kit Tools is installed and change to the
          bin subfolder.

        2. Move config.hsf to a safe folder. Don't delete it but move it out of
          bin folder to a folder outside of Tools.

        3. Run a chkdsk or scan disk on your system.

        4. Install the latest version of HTML-Kit Tools and start it.

        Let me know if this opens Tools. If you have any big project files we'll
        have to get them from old config.hsf

        Chami

        • prl1862, 20th Aug 2012 8:22 am

          I've installed the new version to a different folder (with no config.hsf file) and am still having the same problem.

          There are no disk issues on my system.

          • prl1862, 20th Aug 2012 8:47 am

            I've just left the program and it has come up with the following:

            COM SERVER WARNING

            There are still active COM obejects in this application. One or more clients may have references to these objects, so manually closing this application may cause those client application(s) to fail.

            Are you sure you want to close this application?

            • HTML-Kit Support, 20th Aug 2012 11:54 am

              On 8/20/2012 8:47 AM, prl1862 wrote:

              I've just left the program and it has come up with the following:

              COM SERVER WARNING

              There are still active COM obejects in this application. One or more
              clients may have references to these objects, so manually closing
              this application may cause those client application(s) to fail.

              Are you sure you want to close this application?

              I wouldn't have recommended installing to a different folder in this
              case but now that's there you might try restarting Windows.

              Chami

              • prl1862, 22nd Aug 2012 5:38 am

                Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was off work sick yesterday.

                I've managed to get to the bottom of the problem. HTML-Kit Tools Version 20120801 hangs at startup when I use one part of a utility called Actual Multiple Monitors from http://actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/

                Actual Multiple Monitors includes an option to have a taskbar on all displays. If I enable this option, HTML-Kit Version 20120801 hangs at startup. If I disable the option, it works correctly. This behaviour does not occur in build 20120406.

                I have reported the problem to Actual Tools via there forum at http://actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=2302

                • prl1862, 22nd Aug 2012 5:48 am

                  I've now found that the problem occurs if the multi-monitor taskbar is set to Individual or Mixed modes. If I set it to mirror mode, HTML-Kit Tools starts correctly.

                  • HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Aug 2012 7:13 am

                    On 8/22/2012 5:48 AM, prl1862 wrote:

                    I've now found that the problem occurs if the multi-monitor taskbar
                    is set to Individual or Mixed modes. If I set it to mirror mode,
                    HTML-Kit Tools starts correctly.

                    Ahh... interesting! Thank you for tracking this down. I may not have
                    time to play with this before the next update but I'll install AMM and
                    see if there's a relatively easy fix. It looks like this is a common
                    issue though so there might be a workaround on AMM side as well:

                    http://www.actualtools.com/search/index.php?q=hanging

                    Chami

                    • Darren777, 28th Aug 2012 11:38 am

                      I can confirm there is an issue although haven't tried the fix above as I have no idea where it is.

                      Mine doesn't really hang but just doesn't work for about 30 seconds, it's just stuck so i guess hung is the correct word.

                      After that all is ok.

                      Rgds

                      Darren

                      • Dave P, 28th Aug 2012 12:09 pm

                        On 8/28/2012 12:38 PM, Darren777 wrote:

                        I can confirm there is an issue although haven't tried the fix above as I have no idea where it is.

                        Mine doesn't really hang but just doesn't work for about 30 seconds, it's just stuck so i guess hung is the correct word.

                        After that all is ok.

                        Rgds

                        Darren

                        I'm seeing this, too.
                        Dave Pyles

                        • HTML-Kit Support, 28th Aug 2012 12:22 pm

                          On 8/28/2012 12:09 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

                          On 8/28/2012 12:38 PM, Darren777 wrote:

                          I can confirm there is an issue although haven't tried the fix
                          above as I have no idea where it is.

                          Mine doesn't really hang but just doesn't work for about 30
                          seconds, it's just stuck so i guess hung is the correct word.

                          After that all is ok.

                          Rgds

                          Darren

                          I'm seeing this, too.
                          Dave Pyles

                          Are you guys also using also using Actual Multiple Monitors software?

                          If not, slower startup is usually related to auto open files/projects
                          where some of those files are slow to access (on a network or USB for
                          example).

                          I'd try this: start Tools in a profile you haven't used before like "Kit

                          Profile > Extra > Development." Does that open faster?

                          Chami

                          • Dave P, 28th Aug 2012 12:28 pm

                            On 8/28/2012 1:22 PM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

                            On 8/28/2012 12:09 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

                            On 8/28/2012 12:38 PM, Darren777 wrote:

                            I can confirm there is an issue although haven't tried the fix
                            above as I have no idea where it is.

                            Mine doesn't really hang but just doesn't work for about 30
                            seconds, it's just stuck so i guess hung is the correct word.

                            After that all is ok.

                            Rgds

                            Darren

                            I'm seeing this, too.
                            Dave Pyles

                            Are you guys also using also using Actual Multiple Monitors software?

                            If not, slower startup is usually related to auto open files/projects
                            where some of those files are slow to access (on a network or USB for
                            example).

                            I'd try this: start Tools in a profile you haven't used before like "Kit

                            Profile > Extra > Development." Does that open faster?

                            Chami

                            Actually, I was seeing this yesterday, but am not seeing it today after
                            a computer reboot. I hadn't used Tools today at all.

                            Dave Pyles

                            • Guest, 6th Sep 2012 2:49 pm

                              The reboot saved me. I found this forum thread because I had the same issue - after an update (to the version dated 8/15/2012), I couldn't get HTML-Kit to load successfully.

                              I deleted and reinstalled it several times, then searched and found this forum thread.

                              I am using AMM 4.1. After the reboot, HTML-Kit loaded flawlessly, even with AMM loaded (but I had unplugged my external monitor before restarting the computer, so am not sure that AMM was active).

                              • HTML-Kit Support, 7th Sep 2012 6:06 pm

                                On 9/6/2012 2:49 PM, Guest wrote:

                                The reboot saved me. I found this forum thread because I had the
                                same issue - after an update (to the version dated 8/15/2012), I
                                couldn't get HTML-Kit to load successfully.

                                I deleted and reinstalled it several times, then searched and found
                                this forum thread.

                                I am using AMM 4.1. After the reboot, HTML-Kit loaded flawlessly,
                                even with AMM loaded (but I had unplugged my external monitor before
                                restarting the computer, so am not sure that AMM was active).

                                I haven't had a chance to install AMM but hope to take a look this weekend.

                                Thank you for all the information. It's already come in handy!

                                Chami