how to turn 'cold folding' back on?

• Advertisement ( why? )

slider, 1st Dec 2014 7:51 pm

tools v. 20131106 - seem to have lost the html 'fold' marks in the pink gutter area boxes ( + -) and can't recall how to turn them back on. Tried everything I could think of, view>expand folds, edit>'exand/collapse' functions, etc. It seems all that only applies if you already have the fold markers available. Mine simply don't show - the pink boxes are blank. Sorry for the dumb q. but I spent hours chasing thought hkit's "help" docs and google searches. Don't know why they disappeared. don't know how to get them back.

• HTML-Kit Support, 3rd Dec 2014 2:09 pm

On 12/1/2014 7:51 PM, slider wrote:

tools v. 20131106 - seem to have lost the html 'fold' marks in the
      pink gutter area boxes ( + -) and can't recall how to turn them back
      on. Tried everything I could think of, view>expand folds,
      edit>'exand/collapse' functions, etc. It seems all that only applies
      if you already have the fold markers available. Mine simply don't
      show - the pink boxes are blank. Sorry for the dumb q. but I spent
      hours chasing thought hkit's "help" docs and google searches. Don't
      know why they disappeared. don't know how to get them back.

Hmm... they should be there when you have block tags that expand
      multiple lines. Note that pink marks on the gutter indicate modified
      lines and not related to code folding. Code folding indicators appear in
      between the line number column and the modified line markers.

Chami

• slider, 20th Dec 2014 4:57 pm

Hmm, chami. Well they don't appear when I have code with all kinds of divs and other nested blocks. not always. And that's what's puzzling. Sometimes I do something that inadvertently turns them on and they (the '+' or '-' ) appear inside the pink (modified code boxes) and work -- folding and unfolding. Then other times I'll do something inadvertently (I suppose) and they disappear and I've tried every selection in the expand-folds menu and everything else I can think of, but haven't found what does the trick to make them appear again. (in fact they are gone at the moment). It's a bummer because its a feature I use a lot for getting code out of the way or checking closure. Maybe a show/hide for the fold feature is needed perhaps a single-click in the gutter toggles bookmarks, a double-click toggles fold markers? Certainly a selection in the 'expand folds' menu for showing/hiding fold markers?

Incidentally, it would be nice, if when we put a comment on the same line as the closure tag of a block of folded code, that it showed up, say, indented right after the folded tag, rather than just the next line of the code (e.g. "</div> " ) What I do now in the line after every closure in a long block is put an comment, so it shows in the folded view. Otherwise it is difficult to tell what the end of block actually goes with. Just showing the next line in say a long nested block of paragraphs usually leaves me going back to the block to see what the line-after really was so I can see if the block is correctly closed. just a thought.

• HTML-Kit Support, 20th Dec 2014 7:29 pm

On 12/20/2014 4:57 PM, slider wrote:

Hmm, chami. Well they don't appear when I have code with all kinds
          of divs and other nested blocks. not always. And that's what's
          puzzling. Sometimes I do something that inadvertently turns them on
          and they (the '+' or '-' ) appear inside the pink (modified code
          boxes) and work -- folding and unfolding. Then other times I'll do
          something inadvertently (I suppose) and they disappear and I've tried
          every selection in the expand-folds menu and everything else I can
          think of, but haven't found what does the trick to make them appear
          again. (in fact they are gone at the moment). It's a bummer because
          its a feature I use a lot for getting code out of the way or checking
          closure. Maybe a show/hide for the fold feature is needed perhaps a
          single-click in the gutter toggles bookmarks, a double-click toggles
          fold markers? Certainly a selection in the 'expand folds' menu for
          showing/hiding fold markers?

Do you think a screenshot might help clear things up further? "Help >
          Send feedback > Send screenshot - application window" is one way but you
          can use any method you like. This might help me figure out what's going on.

Incidentally, it would be nice, if when we put a comment on the same
          line as the closure tag of a block of folded code, that it showed up,
          say, indented right after the folded tag, rather than just the next
          line of the code (e.g. "</div> " ) What I
          do now in the line after every closure in a long block is put an comment, so it shows in the folded view.
          Otherwise it is difficult to tell what the end of block actually goes
          with. Just showing the next line in say a long nested block of
          paragraphs usually leaves me going back to the block to see what the
          line-after really was so I can see if the block is correctly closed.
          just a thought.

I sure do agree with you that having some kind of hint about folded
          content would be useful. I'll make a note of your request.

Chami

• slider, 21st Dec 2014 1:38 am

I'll send you one. but I don't know what it can do. Just a lot of code with no markers on the side. but I'll send it.

While I'm here, there's another small, off-topic issue I have with split-screens. One thing is that they seem to lose their focus easily. I'll be working or scrolling or previewing and then start to type on the pane that had focus and where the cursor is showing, only to find the text is going on the other pane. Only way to be sure is to click again on the proper pane, even if it looks like it has focus. Along with that, I'm still puzzled about how to go from a split screen view to a single pane. When I drag and click from the pane I want to center view in either pane it doesn't do it. If I drop it on the pane I want to background, it usually just pops another open document into the space rather than giving me a single pane view. Just something I haven't figured out yet. Can you clue me in?.

• HTML-Kit Support, 21st Dec 2014 12:53 pm

On 12/21/2014 1:38 AM, slider wrote:

I'll send you one. but I don't know what it can do. Just a lot of
              code with no markers on the side. but I'll send it.

Thank you for that. Folding markers aren't there because it looks like
              you're using a Colorizer View that doesn't support it. As you've
              guessed, colorizing and folding go hand in hand. Here's a quick test:
              switch to a new profile from the "Kit > Profile" menu and open the same
              document. You should see folding markers. If you could post a request on
              "Help > Feedback" I'll see if there's a way, in the long term, to unglue
              the colorizer and folding.

While I'm here, there's another small, off-topic issue I have with
              split-screens. One thing is that they seem to lose their focus
              easily. I'll be working or scrolling or previewing and then start to
              type on the pane that had focus and where the cursor is showing, only
              to find the text is going on the other pane. Only way to be sure is
              to click again on the proper pane, even if it looks like it has
              focus.

I'd go through docked windows/plugins and see if "Color Picker" is open.
              If it is, disable "Color Preview" panel, which has some auto focus
              action, or just close the plugin when you aren't using it.

Along with that, I'm still puzzled about how to go from a split
              screen view to a single pane. When I drag and click from the pane I
              want to center view in either pane it doesn't do it. If I drop it on
              the pane I want to background, it usually just pops another open
              document into the space rather than giving me a single pane view.
              Just something I haven't figured out yet. Can you clue me in?.

You know I'm not good at understanding written descriptions of graphical
              interfaces. So if I give you the wrong answer it really isn't your
              fault. Is this what you're trying to do?

http://www.htmlkit.com/go/youtube/view-multiple-documents

About 30 seconds in, it shows merging a document tab by dropping it in
              the center of the target.

Chami

• slider, 25th Dec 2014 4:09 am

I'll take things in order rather than quoting (too keep it from getting too long) -

--Yes, I'll be glad to send you a feedback on ungluing folder/colorizer, just as a reminder you can put in a drawer somewhere till you get an idle moment someday! :)

-- Yes, I usually have the color preview panel open. closing it seems to help. Also saving the document and reopening it does too. (another offshoot of the glued modules I reckon.)

-- Viewed the utube video. Best example of 'merging' is at the end where you merge the two right horizontal panes. And I seem to be able to do that ok. In my case, let's say you have three docs open, 'x' 'y' & 'z' (i usually have many more open, but for illustration...) so I split the screen vertically with x on one side y on the other (I've no problem splitting the screens). Some times the views lose focus on me - but I'll try closing the docked color picker and see if that helps. Anyway, no problem splitting screens. But then I want to go back to single pane with 'x' only. So I drag the x-tab over to the center focus on the 'y' panel. Instead of x covering y and becoming a single-screen with 'x', x will now occupy the y half of the screen and z will appear in the other half. And I can go round and round, dragging every which way to the center, and they just seem to play musical chairs on the split screen. Then, I do something (drag it just right, or inadvertently bump something, I haven't any idea what) and omg, I get a single screen again. Hope that makes sense. I'm not too swift at describing.

-- and another little wringle appeared recently. When I'm in split (2) screens, working along, my editing just hangs. Can't type a thing, can't highlight and delete, can't tab...nothing. but the cursor works and I can switch tools and use the ribbon and such. I've found that saving the document and then reopening unfreezes things. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I have a problem with some file corruptions or something? Maybe I should reinstall tools and see if that seems to clear all these problems. I'm thinking about it.

btw - your multiple view handler is really great, except for the little problems I'm having. It just can split things in so many directions, and easily, I can go crazy with it -- a big help when I'm working on half a dozen files at once. Nice job. oh, & merry christmas and happy new year to you and yours. - Red (now go off and play somewhere and get back to me next year :)