Highlight another language specific words

  • Advertisement ( why? )
     

    rodfarias, 28th Aug 2015 8:01 am

    Hello Chami.

    I am currently doing a migration from COBOL, so I'm using HTML-Kit Tools intensively as a plain text editor.

    Unfortunately there is no code colorizer for COBOL (and I think that is not really necessary in fact) so I'm using the style "VisualBasic" that helps me a lot.

    But I wonder if there is any method to decide which words are language-specific, and to highlight them. Or this is a hard-code feature?

    • bill, 29th Aug 2015 6:38 am

      On 8/28/2015 9:01 AM, rodfarias wrote:

      Hello Chami.

      I am currently doing a migration from COBOL, so I'm using HTML-Kit Tools intensively

      as a plain text editor.
      >

      Unfortunately there is no code colorizer for COBOL (and I think that is not really

      necessary in fact) so I'm using the style "VisualBasic" that
      helps me a lot.
      >

      But I wonder if there is any method to decide which words are language-specific, and

      to highlight them. Or this is a hard-code feature?
      >

      A wonderful question. I am surprised that Chami has not already
      put in a COBOL colorizer. He has a pattern of answering requests
      before people ask them.

      bill

      • HTML-Kit Support, 1st Sep 2015 9:03 am

        On 8/29/2015 6:38 AM, bill wrote:

        On 8/28/2015 9:01 AM, rodfarias wrote:

        Hello Chami.

        I am currently doing a migration from COBOL, so I'm using HTML-Kit
        Tools intensively

        as a plain text editor.
        >

        Unfortunately there is no code colorizer for COBOL (and I think that
        is not really

        necessary in fact) so I'm using the style "VisualBasic" that helps me a
        lot.
        >

        But I wonder if there is any method to decide which words are
        language-specific, and

        to highlight them. Or this is a hard-code feature?
        >

        A wonderful question. I am surprised that Chami has not already put in
        a COBOL colorizer. He has a pattern of answering requests before people
        ask them.

        bill

        Nope, missed COBOL. By this much.

        Chami

    • HTML-Kit Support, 1st Sep 2015 9:19 am

      On 8/28/2015 8:01 AM, rodfarias wrote:

      Hello Chami.

      I am currently doing a migration from COBOL, so I'm using HTML-Kit
      Tools intensively as a plain text editor.

      Unfortunately there is no code colorizer for COBOL (and I think that
      is not really necessary in fact) so I'm using the style
      "VisualBasic" that helps me a lot.

      But I wonder if there is any method to decide which words are
      language-specific, and to highlight them. Or this is a hard-code
      feature?

      Hi Rodrigo,

      I thought I'd go ahead and add a colorizer for COBOL so you wouldn't
      have to retrofit another language. And, even more importantly, get those
      nice green comments :)

      As a side note, I have a bad habit of working on stuff before replying.
      This makes for a nice surprise when there's a relatively quick
      turnaround. But doesn't work out so well for things that can't really be
      completed in a reasonable time. More of a note to self I guess... to
      work on that communication thing!

      The new TreeHouse build with COBOL colorizer should be up in about 20
      minutes.

      http://www.htmlkit.com/assistant/

      Chami

      • rodfarias, 1st Sep 2015 12:43 pm

        I asked for a feature and you answered me with a new version of the software!!!
        In 3 days!!! OMG.

        I downloaded the update and COBOL colorizer is perfect. Now I'm really happy, it makes me much lighter work. Really thank you very much for your professionalism.

        Rodrigo

        • HTML-Kit Support, 2nd Sep 2015 10:50 am

          On 9/1/2015 12:43 PM, rodfarias wrote:

          I asked for a feature and you answered me with a new version of the
          software!!!
          In 3 days!!! OMG.

          I downloaded the update and COBOL colorizer is perfect. Now I'm
          really happy, it makes me much lighter work. Really thank you very
          much for your professionalism.

          Rodrigo

          It makes me happy (truly) to hear that this made your work a tiny bit
          easier :) And you've supported HTML-Kit so it's the least I could do to.

          Happy coding!

          Chami

      • bill, 4th Sep 2015 10:15 am

        >

        Hi Rodrigo,

        I thought I'd go ahead and add a colorizer for COBOL so you
        wouldn't have to retrofit another language. And, even more
        importantly, get those nice green comments :)

        As a side note, I have a bad habit of working on stuff before
        replying. This makes for a nice surprise when there's a
        relatively quick turnaround. But doesn't work out so well for
        things that can't really be completed in a reasonable time.

        Is your tachion-mail portal down? I thought that was how you
        made fixes/enhancement before they were real-time requested.

        More

        of a note to self I guess... to work on that communication thing!

        It really is a good idea to acknowledge quickly, otherwise people
        fret, wondering if their note was even received.
        (that was why I posted my note-I dislike people fretting without
        need.

        bill
        >

        The new TreeHouse build with COBOL colorizer should be up in
        about 20 minutes.

        http://www.htmlkit.com/assistant/

        Chami

        • HTML-Kit Support, 4th Sep 2015 11:30 am

          On 9/4/2015 10:15 AM, bill wrote:
          ...

          More of a note to self I guess... to work on that communication
          thing!

          It really is a good idea to acknowledge quickly, otherwise people
          fret, wondering if their note was even received. (that was why I
          posted my note-I dislike people fretting without need.

          bill

          I'm bad at estimating how long it takes to implement things yet I find
          myself saying yes to too many requests. Getting it done before replying
          was my way of trying to deal with this to some degree. Like you say
          though, it's better to acknowledge quickly.

          What would you advice I say when I don't know how long it might take to
          complete a request? Even if I feel optimistic at the time of reply, it
          may turn out to be much more difficult or even impossible to deliver in
          a timely manner. Not to mention that there's more than one ball in the
          air at any given moment. How would I express willingness to tackle
          something without going into a long disclaimer?

          Chami

          • bill, 5th Sep 2015 6:27 am

            On 9/4/2015 12:30 PM, HTML-Kit Support wrote:

            On 9/4/2015 10:15 AM, bill wrote:
            ...

            More of a note to self I guess... to work on that communication
            thing!

            It really is a good idea to acknowledge quickly, otherwise people
            fret, wondering if their note was even received. (that was why I
            posted my note-I dislike people fretting without need.

            bill

            I'm bad at estimating how long it takes to implement things yet I
            find myself saying yes to too many requests. Getting it done
            before replying was my way of trying to deal with this to some
            degree. Like you say though, it's better to acknowledge quickly.

            What would you advice I say when I don't know how long it might
            take to complete a request? Even if I feel optimistic at the time
            of reply, it may turn out to be much more difficult or even
            impossible to deliver in a timely manner. Not to mention that
            there's more than one ball in the air at any given moment. How
            would I express willingness to tackle something without going
            into a long disclaimer?

            I would suggest: "Thank you for your request|comment. I have put
            your request|comment on my to do list. {misc comments about the
            request...}
            Although some believe that I am an AI being, I still am limited
            by the 24 hour day so I can not tell you how long it will take
            for me to address your request|comment. But, take heart, because
            I received your request|comment 7 days before you sent it, it
            should not be too long.

            or perhaps: "Thank you for your request|comment. I have put your
            request|comment on my to do list. {misc comments about the
            request...} I'll let you know when I have addressed your issue.

            I prefer the first, but I know that in your modesty you will
            prefer the 2nd.