ftp setup problem

  • Advertisement ( why? )
     

    patyoung, 5th Apr 2013 5:59 pm

    i just set up KT on my w7 machine. i haven't used KT since my XP machine died in jan., so i have forgotten some things. one is how to set up and access my website via ftp.

    when i click on the icon, i get a rendering of the file i have open in the right panel. but i want to see my godaddy account tree.

    somehow, once, i blundered into ftp setup (which i can't get back to) and input the info, but as i remember from a year ago or so, for me it is not that simple. it doesn't want to make an ftp connection.

    my question is, how the heck do you use the ftp feature ?

    • bill, 6th Apr 2013 5:05 am

      On 4/5/2013 6:59 PM, patyoung wrote:

      i just set up KT on my w7 machine. i haven't used KT since my XP machine died in jan., so i have forgotten some things. one is how to set up and access my website via ftp.

      when i click on the icon, i get a rendering of the file i have open in the right panel. but i want to see my godaddy account tree.

      somehow, once, i blundered into ftp setup (which i can't get back to) and input the info, but as i remember from a year ago or so, for me it is not that simple. it doesn't want to make an ftp connection.

      my question is, how the heck do you use the ftp feature ?

      CHAMI "improved" the projects pane, but in doing so it became
      less obvious how to use it.

      If you haven't opened a project, do so: file->projects->new project.

      Then in the right panel you will see an italicized list that
      includes Add remote folder(FTP),n click that
      Fill in the data
      You may need to click Passive Mode on the advanced tab if the
      direct mode does not work
      Adding a local folder as an additional save-to folder (in the
      advanced tab) will copy your changed files locally... just in case.

      There may well be other ways of doing this, but this is what I do.

      BTW: after you have set up the ftp folder you edit it by hovering
      on the folder title and then clicking on the wrench.

      bill

      • patyoung, 6th Apr 2013 12:05 pm

        bill -

        thanks for that. i did as you said, and was able to set up a new ftp folder. but as in the previous time, when i try to expand it, i get a box saying "could not establish FTP connection. could not connect to the FTP server".

        i remember having this problem a year or two ago, and having to go into the factory settings or something.

        i am giving it the correct web address (starting with www.) and user name and password (notepad++ has no trouble making the connection). if i remember correctly, it may have had something to do with the "initial Path", which i don't understand and never understood. i leave that blank, and it fills in the web address. passive mode is on. and what is meant by Base URL for Preview ?

        you are probably wishing you hadn't responded to me, but your help is appreciated. i wish there was a set of step by step instructions on this. the help file, at least for me, was useless.

        any thoughts about why i can't get an FTP connection ?

        pat

        • philcdav, 7th Apr 2013 3:18 am

          Hi guys.

          Have been having the same issue on my W7 laptop.

          Transferred the setting from the old XP desktop but couldnt get FTP to work.

          Clicked the 'passive' tab and Bingo.

          Well done Bill

        • bill, 7th Apr 2013 5:50 am

          On 4/6/2013 1:05 PM, patyoung wrote:

          bill -

          thanks for that. i did as you said, and was able to set up a new ftp folder. but as in the previous time, when i try to expand it, i get a box saying "could not establish FTP connection. could not connect to the FTP server".

          i remember having this problem a year or two ago, and having to go into the factory settings or something.

          i am giving it the correct web address (starting with www.) and user name and password (notepad++ has no trouble making the connection). if i remember correctly, it may have had something to do with the "initial Path", which i don't understand and never understood.

          initial path is just a convenience.
          If you file system is:
          www
          www/mywebsite
          www/mywebsite/project 3

          you can put www/mywebsite/project 3 in the initial path and when
          the connection is made HTMLKIT will display that directory.
          It has nothing to do with actually getting the connection.

          i leave that blank, and it fills in the web address. passive
          mode is on. and what is meant by Base URL for Preview ?

          IF you are using an outside host to display previews, this is the
          address to the outside host. Again, nothing to do with connecting.
          >

          you are probably wishing you hadn't responded to me, but your help is appreciated. i wish there was a set of step by step instructions on this. the help file, at least for me, was useless.

          no problem, this is a nice group of people, many of whom helped
          me while I was getting started.

          any thoughts about why i can't get an FTP connection ?
          thoughts:
          click on the wrench and see if your login credentials are
          still correct.

          make sure "Passive mode" is checked on the advanced tab.

          you might try using the file folder icon on the pop up tool list
          when you hover over the FTP folder to see if you can create a
          folder on the server.

          I am afraid I have no more thoughts, but welcome your reply as
          that might jiggle something lose.

          bill

          >

          pat

          • patyoung, 10th Apr 2013 11:36 pm

            well, it is aggravating. i have done all that you suggested. to no avail.

            filezilla connects fine. notepad++ connects fine. kitTools doesn't.

            goDaddy says, in that case use filezilla. i am using the treehouse version because of ftp problems.

            when i try to set up a new FTP folder, and run the test connection to the KT ftp, the program locks up.

            now this can't be right.

            • patyoung, 11th Apr 2013 12:05 am

              I un-installed KT, and then downloaded the non-treehouse version, and re-installed it. It works.

              maybe i should have tried that in the beginning and saved myself a lot of aggravation.

              bill, thanks for attempting to help me.

              pat

              • patyoung, 11th Apr 2013 12:21 am

                It is so nice to be able to use KT again. what a nice program.

              • bill, 11th Apr 2013 9:14 am

                On 4/11/2013 1:05 AM, patyoung wrote:

                I un-installed KT, and then downloaded the non-treehouse version, and re-installed it. It works.

                maybe i should have tried that in the beginning and saved myself a lot of aggravation.

                bill, thanks for attempting to help me.

                pat

                It was worth a try.
                Weird problem.