FTP doesn't prompt for overwrite anymore

• Advertisement ( why? )

ekhoo, 30th Apr 2013 10:34 am

Not sure what I did but spent the last hour trying to find out how to enable the overwrite prompt without success.

Am running Tree house build 20121005

• HTML-Kit Support, 30th Apr 2013 11:10 am

Hi,

On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, ekhoo wrote:

Not sure what I did but spent the last hour trying to find out how to
      enable the overwrite prompt without success.

Am running Tree house build 20121005

If you could tell me which method you're using to upload we can try and
      locate the overwrite option for it. Please include the exact steps.

Chami

• ekhoo, 30th Apr 2013 11:15 am

I normally right click the specific folder or usually it's a subfolder such as /images or /css or /js and select upload. Usually it's 2-3 files at a time.

• ekhoo, 30th Apr 2013 11:20 am

Most regularly used option is Add/Upload Files then Select one or more files in a single folder.

• HTML-Kit Support, 2nd May 2013 1:07 pm

On 4/30/2013 11:20 AM, ekhoo wrote:

Most regularly used option is Add/Upload Files then Select one or
            more files in a single folder.

It doesn't bring up a prompt when you're selecting the files to be
            uploaded. I wouldn't really want to be prompted each time I do this.

It does bring up the overwrite prompt when you create files and when you
            attach a document to a FTP folder for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Chami

• superagentsites, 11th Jul 2014 4:13 pm

This was a very useful function, it is good to know you are about to overwrite an existing file. Sometimes it is just a coincidence that I chose a file name that already existed. And the 292 search/replace function was excellent. More efficient I think. Great Product! Would like to have the overwrite option though, I tend to use 292 just because if this problem.. I am using 20131106.

Thank you.

• HTML-Kit Support, 15th Jul 2014 1:58 pm

On 7/11/2014 4:13 PM, superagentsites wrote:

This was a very useful function, it is good to know you are about to
                overwrite an existing file. Sometimes it is just a coincidence that I
                chose a file name that already existed. And the 292 search/replace
                function was excellent. More efficient I think. Great Product! Would
                like to have the overwrite option though, I tend to use 292 just
                because if this problem.. I am using 20131106.

Thank you.

Hi,

If overwrite warnings are enabled Tools does prompt you when you upload
                or attach a file with the same name. It doesn't do this when you're
                batch uploading because I'm not sure if it's very useful to get prompted
                while trying to duplicate local files on existing site on the server. If
                this is something you want though, please add a request using "Help >
                Send your feedback" menu option in Tools (helps with tracking and
                prioritizing requests).

Please feel free to submit requests for what you'd like to see in
                search/replace as well. 292's search/replace is more bare-metal and
                faster on a head to head comparison. On the other hand, Tools has more
                features around it like instant matches, versioning modified files,
                ability to run on remote/FTP folders, etc., so I think it's a net gain.

Thank you for the kind words and your feedback :)

Chami

• superagentsites, 16th Jul 2014 9:24 am

Not sure what happened there.. Please delete the extra posts. As I was saying:
                  I agree, very powerful tools. But I have looked and looked and Googled and I can't find the overwrite setting. When I right click on a folder in ftp and choose Add/Upload Files, it does say that this function skips the overwrite prompt. But I do not see how to upload files where it does have the overwrite prompt. Even if I just choose one file, it does not ask to overwrite. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

• HTML-Kit Support, 17th Jul 2014 8:12 pm

On 7/16/2014 9:24 AM, superagentsites wrote:

Not sure what happened there.. Please delete the extra posts. As I
                    wassaying:
                    I agree, very powerful tools. But I have looked and looked and
                    Googled and I can't find the overwrite setting. When I right click on
                    a folder in ftp and choose Add/Upload Files, it does say that this
                    function skips the overwrite prompt. But I do not see how to upload
                    files where it does have the overwrite prompt. Even if I just choose
                    one file, it does not ask to overwrite. Any assistance will be
                    appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry about the delay. I thought I'd create a video to make sure I'm on
                    the same page. Here you'll see the overwrite prompt come up for
                    FTP/remote folder, when creating new files and when uploading the
                    current document:

http://www.htmlkit.com/go/youtube/remote-overwrite-prompt

If you try to upload files from a folder, then it won't do this because
                    it assumes that you're explicitly telling it to upload files to an
                    existing remote folder. Please add a request on "Help > Feedback" if
                    you'd like an overwrite prompt for uploads from external folders as well.

Chami