free version of HTML-Kit editor changed Thunderbird

• Advertisement ( why? )

Guest, 21st Apr 2012 10:46 am

I installed the free version of HTML-Kit yesterday, but it didn't do auto tag-completion, so didn't use it. Right after installing it, however, I noticed that none of my links in Thunderbird e-mail would open a browser.

How did HTML-Kit affect this? I've uninstalled and reinstalled TB, set my TB preferences, and Windows default browser, but it still won't work. Mozilla doesn't have an answer, so thought I'd ask someone here if they've experienced the same thing. If so, how did you fix it?

• HTML-Kit Support, 21st Apr 2012 11:03 am

Hi,

On 4/21/2012 10:46 AM, Guest wrote:

I installed the free version of HTML-Kit yesterday, but it didn't do
      auto tag-completion, so didn't use it. Right after installing it,
      however, I noticed that none of my links in Thunderbird e-mail would
      open a browser.

Actually HTML-Kit 292 free version has tag completion:

http://www.htmlkit.com/tour/pages/tagsreminder.html

How did HTML-Kit affect this? I've uninstalled and reinstalled TB,
      set my TB preferences, and Windows default browser, but it still
      won't work. Mozilla doesn't have an answer, so thought I'd ask
      someone here if they've experienced the same thing. If so, how did
      you fix it?

Most likely, you've set HTML-Kit 292 to be the default web app in the
      setup. To reset it back to your favorite browser, go to options and set
      "Check to see if this is the default browser" (or similar). Restart the
      browser, and say yes when it prompts to be the default browser.

If you have any further questions, please note that the HTML-Kit 292
      specific forum is at:

http://www.html-kit.com/forums/free-editor/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
      Chami

• Guest, 21st Apr 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks, Chami, for your help, but I didn't set HTML-Kit to be the default anything. It must have decided to do that for me, and without my permission.

I've already checked and Chrome is still my default browser, but TB still won't work (even after uninstalling and reinstalling it), and now I've got all sorts of HTML-Kit viruses driving my security software crazy.

I know that you offered this for free, but it isn't supposed to hurt your computer even if it is free.

Can you please help with this?

• HTML-Kit Support, 21st Apr 2012 10:00 pm

On 4/21/2012 9:30 PM, Guest wrote:

Thanks, Chami, for your help, but I didn't set HTML-Kit to be the
          default anything. It must have decided to do that for me, and
          without my permission.

It doesn't do that without your permission. Otherwise this forum would
          be full of similar reports.

I've already checked and Chrome is still my default browser, but TB
          still won't work (even after uninstalling and reinstalling it), and
          now I've got all sorts of HTML-Kit viruses driving my security
          software crazy.

I know that you offered this for free, but it isn't supposed to
          hurt your computer even if it is free.

Of course not, and it doesn't.

Enabling the check box for making Chrome the default browser may not be
          enough. You may have to make it check to see if it's the default browser
          on start up, and restart it after closing all instances of it. You can
          do the same with Thunderbird by making it prompt to be the default app.
          Or if you're using Windows 7, "Control Panel > Programs > Default programs."

Chami

• bill, 22nd Apr 2012 9:36 am

On 4/21/2012 10:30 PM, Guest wrote:

Thanks, Chami, for your help, but I didn't set HTML-Kit to be the default anything. It must have decided to do that for me, and without my permission.

I've already checked and Chrome is still my default browser, but TB still won't work (even after uninstalling and reinstalling it), and now I've got all sorts of HTML-Kit viruses driving my security software crazy.

I know that you offered this for free, but it isn't supposed to hurt your computer even if it is free.

If HTML-Kit contained viri, we'd all be screaming, and we are not.

bill

• Guest, 18th May 2012 12:26 am

Thank you for your help, Chami. I was at last able to set TB so that it would open in at least some browser, but rest assured I did NOT set HTML-kit to be the default browser. Why on earth would I, H-K is a text editor, right?

In any case, the fact that you don't have a lot of complaints is probably because most people who fell into the same trap I did, didn't realize that it was HTML-Kit that changed their settings, so didn't know where to complain. If I hadn't checked my e-mail right after I installed it, I probably wouldn't know either.

I never claimed that HTML-Kit had viruses (that's the plural, BTW, not viri), just that its installation program did things the user didn't want/need/ask for.

• HTML-Kit Support, 18th May 2012 11:02 am

On 5/18/2012 12:26 AM, Guest wrote:

Thank you for your help, Chami. I was at last able to set TB so that
              it would open in at least some browser, but rest assured I did NOT
              set HTML-kit to be the default browser. Why on earth would I, H-K is
              a text editor, right?

In any case, the fact that you don't have a lot of complaints is
              probably because most people who fell into the same trap I did,
              didn't realize that it was HTML-Kit that changed their settings, so
              didn't know where to complain. If I hadn't checked my e-mail right
              after I installed it, I probably wouldn't know either.

I never claimed that HTML-Kit had viruses (that's the plural, BTW,
              not viri), just that its installation program did things the user
              didn't want/need/ask for.

This unedited recording of HTML-Kit 292 installation starts and ends
              with opening links in Thunderbird, and they open in the default browser
              before and after installing HTML-Kit 292.

http://www.htmlkit.com/go/youtube/hk292setup-email

There's not much I can say if you still think HTML-Kit 292 changed the
              default HTML app without telling you. It may make sense to change the
              default app in some cases but doing so is an option, and not something
              HTML-Kit does without prompting first.

In any event, I'm glad that you were able to resolve your issue :)

Chami