Find in all project ???

• Advertisement ( why? )

Luca, 8th Jan 2014 3:35 am

Hi Chami,
    During my job, I'm experiecing Eclipse editor. In general is very heavy for simple html and css editing but it have 2 very important features:
    * SVN managing
    * Find in all project

I know that SVN managing is probably too complicate but a find in all project (and not only in opened files like in last version) could be very very useful. Do you think that could be possible to have it in the future?

Thank you. :-)

• HTML-Kit Support, 8th Jan 2014 8:11 am

On 1/8/2014 3:35 AM, Luca wrote:

Hi Chami,
      During my job, I'm experiecing Eclipse editor. In general is very
      heavy for simple html and css editing but it have 2 very important
      features:
      * SVN managing
      * Find in all project

I know that SVN managing is probably too complicate but a find in
      all project (and not only in opened files like in last version) could
      be very very useful. Do you think that could be possible to have it
      in the future?

Thank you. :-)

Hi Luca,

You can already access SVN from HTML-Kit Tools with TortoiseSVN. It's on
      SourceForge I think. Shift+RightClick will then bring up the context
      menu in project files:

http://www.htmlkit.com/view/#!/i/project-window-tortoisesvn-1

To find in a project, right click a folder or a server and then "Batch
      Actions > Find in Files"

Hope this helps.

Chami

• Luca, 8th Jan 2014 8:33 am

Chami.... you're my hero!!!! :-))))))))))))))

Kit Tools is growing up!!! Perfect!!! ;-)

• bill, 8th Jan 2014 9:42 am

On 1/8/2014 9:33 AM, Luca wrote:

me too
          bill
          >
          >

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Jan 2014 6:52 am

On 1/8/2014 9:42 AM, bill wrote:

On 1/8/2014 9:33 AM, Luca wrote:

me too
            bill
            >
            >

You guys are too nice! :)

Thank you Luca and Bill. You made my day!

Chami

• Luca, 10th Jan 2015 4:38 am

Hi Chami,
              Some suggestion to improve "Find in files" function:

1) In Seach dialog there is a checkbox to auto-open subfolders in order to find files, because finding will be performed only in open folders. Ok, but should be useful another checkbox that "Close auto-open folders after finished". I'm requesting it because I have projects with a very nested structure and hundreds of files and each time, Kit leave all folders open.... :-(
              2) Eclipse show a "search results" in a bottom pane, and is very useful because it group each occurrence in a very small and compact area. Again, with hundreds of files and maybe just 2-3 occurrence, scrolling the entire folder tree is almost unconfortable...

Thank you.

• bill, 10th Jan 2015 7:20 am

On 1/10/2015 5:38 AM, Luca wrote:

Hi Chami,

1) In Seach dialog there is a checkbox to auto-open subfolders in order to find files,

because finding will be performed only in open folders.

Ok, but should be useful another checkbox that "Close auto-open
                folders after finished".

I'm requesting it because I have projects with a very nested
                structure and hundreds of

files and each time, Kit leave all folders open.... :-(

It is there already. Look on the Extra menu after right clicking
                a folder - collapse all

with a very complex folder structure (up to 6 levels) it does
                take awhile

It would seem to make sense to have the option on the batch
                actions menu as it is a batch action (although what I would
                rather have is a menu item: collapse all except flagged folders.
                That way only the "hits" would be expanded (which addresses you
                note below)

If you do a batch action find and then collapse all you end up
                with the flagged folders and files hidden. If you then open the
                project folder, the flags show up on the folders. You can then
                open the folders that interest you.

2) Eclipse show a "search results" in a bottom pane, and is very useful because it

group each occurrence in a very small and compact area. Again,
                with hundreds of files

and maybe just 2-3 occurrence, scrolling the entire folder tree
                is almost unconfortable...
                >

Thank you.

• HTML-Kit Support, 10th Jan 2015 2:19 pm

On 1/10/2015 7:20 AM, bill wrote:

On 1/10/2015 5:38 AM, Luca wrote:

Hi Chami,

1) In Seach dialog there is a checkbox to auto-open subfolders in
                  order to find files,

because finding will be performed only in open folders.

Ok, but should be useful another checkbox that "Close auto-open folders
                  after finished".

I'm requesting it because I have projects with a very nested structure
                  and hundreds of

files and each time, Kit leave all folders open.... :-(

It is there already. Look on the Extra menu after right clicking a
                  folder - collapse all

with a very complex folder structure (up to 6 levels) it does take awhile

It would seem to make sense to have the option on the batch actions menu
                  as it is a batch action (although what I would rather have is a menu
                  item: collapse all except flagged folders. That way only the "hits"
                  would be expanded (which addresses you note below)

If you do a batch action find and then collapse all you end up with the
                  flagged folders and files hidden. If you then open the project folder,
                  the flags show up on the folders. You can then open the folders that
                  interest you.

2) Eclipse show a "search results" in a bottom pane, and is very
                  useful because it

group each occurrence in a very small and compact area. Again, with
                  hundreds of files

and maybe just 2-3 occurrence, scrolling the entire folder tree is
                  almost unconfortable...
                  >

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

To "expand" on Bill's suggestion... if no new folders/files were added
                  since the last expand, you can save a bit of time by unchecking "Expand
                  all folders" on repeat finds. Just remember to do a full expand ("Right
                  click folder > Extra > Expand all") at least once.

Chami

• Luca, 12th Jan 2015 7:37 am

Im' sorry for punctualization guys but whay you suggeste sound like a workaround.
                    Manual collaps after search ending and first total expand - > search -> collapse of folders without results in order to not open them again... is a bit boring and not so efficient. Don't you think?

As said, other tools have very fast and comfortable feature to "find in files". Here there is no concept of "whole project" but only "whole folder and subfolders". Yes, could be ok too, but with some output differences.

A compromise between Eclipse' way and Kit's one, could be the following workflow:
                    1) Right-click on a folder on which I want to perform search (better to have it not in a nested menu, or at least having a shorcut)
                    2) A dialog will open, asking "keyword", type of files in which find occurrencies (.css, .html, ecc.)
                    3) In this dialog coul remain "auto-expand folder" in order to preserve ability to exclude some folders from search
                    4) I would like to add another one, that will collapse all previous auto-open folders (their expansion is functional only to perform search, but is not interesting to be preserved after search end)
                    5) A checkbox "Leave only folder with results open", in order to leave open only folders that has a meaning in this particular context.

• HTML-Kit Support, 12th Jan 2015 9:34 am

On 1/12/2015 7:37 AM, Luca wrote:

Im' sorry for punctualization guys but whay you suggeste sound like
                      a workaround.
                      Manual collaps after search ending and first total expand - > search
                      -> collapse of folders without results in order to not open them
                      again... is a bit boring and not so efficient. Don't you think?

As said, other tools have very fast and comfortable feature to "find
                      in files". Here there is no concept of "whole project" but only
                      "whole folder and subfolders". Yes, could be ok too, but with some
                      output differences.

A compromise between Eclipse' way and Kit's one, could be the following workflow:
                      1) Right-click on a folder on which I want to perform search (better
                      to have it not in a nested menu, or at least having a shorcut)
                      2) A dialog will open, asking "keyword", type of files in which find
                      occurrencies (.css, .html, ecc.)
                      3) In this dialog coul remain "auto-expand folder" in order to
                      preserve ability to exclude some folders from search
                      4) I would like to add another one, that will collapse all previous
                      auto-open folders (their expansion is functional only to perform search,
                      but is not interesting to be preserved after search end)
                      5) A checkbox "Leave only folder with results open", in order to
                      leave open only folders that has a meaning in this particular context.

Thanks again for your feedback Luca.

Chami