Find and Replace Error

• Advertisement ( why? )

DesktopboB, 9th Sep 2013 12:23 pm

Congrats on the completion of your 30/30 project!
    Hope you've had a chance to rest a bit. Did find a new issue that needs some looking at.

Problem first found in Treehouse 20130811 when using the Replace off the Edit menu:

I've been working on converting a short story to HTML and had to make some corrections that my OCR software didn't catch. I first ran into the problem when trying to change the word Abbe to it's correct form of Abbé.

I paste Abbe into the "find" box and the version with the special characters in the "replace" box.

Tools runs and then gives me the results and, while it found all the instances, it dropped the ampersand from each replacement and left a space in place of the character, giving me Abb eacute;.

Further experimenting shows that this occurs with any attempt to use the Replace (either single or multi-line) function when it involves special characters...I get the same result with the ampersand being dropped and a space put in it's place.

This problem does not occur with the "Convert special characters" function of Text Actions.

The problem is still there with the 20130819 build that I downloaded this morning around 9AM PST.

What makes this all the stranger is that the problem only occurs in the Windows 7 machine and NOT the Win XP (a reversal of what normally happens).

Hope you're rested up enough to take a looksee...LOL!

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 9th Sep 2013 1:20 pm

On 9/9/2013 12:23 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Congrats on the completion of your 30/30 project! Hope you've had a
      chance to rest a bit. Did find a new issue that needs some looking
      at.

Problem first found in Treehouse 20130811 when using the Replace off
      the Edit menu:

I've been working on converting a short story to HTML and had to make
      some corrections that my OCR software didn't catch. I first ran into
      the problem when trying to change the word Abbe to it's correct form
      of Abbé.

I paste Abbe into the "find" box and the version with the special
      characters in the "replace" box.

Tools runs and then gives me the results and, while it found all the
      instances, it dropped the ampersand from each replacement and left a
      space in place of the character, giving me Abb eacute;.

Further experimenting shows that this occurs with any attempt to use
      the Replace (either single or multi-line) function when it involves
      special characters...I get the same result with the ampersand being
      dropped and a space put in it's place.

This problem does not occur with the "Convert special characters"
      function of Text Actions.

The problem is still there with the 20130819 build that I downloaded
      this morning around 9AM PST.

What makes this all the stranger is that the problem only occurs in
      the Windows 7 machine and NOT the Win XP (a reversal of what normally
      happens).

Hope you're rested up enough to take a looksee...LOL!

boB

It's always easier to test these things if I don't have to fire up XP :)

So I tried this on my work computer running Windows 8.1 and on another
      running Windows 7. Didn't see this problem on either.

Since you're only seeing this on your Windows 7 PC and not XP, it might
      be related to some other utility software installed on that PC (like
      ones that add spell checking to every text field on the system). If you
      have access to another computer you could try it there and see if it's
      in fact specific to that particular PC.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 10th Sep 2013 2:54 pm

Chami,
        Well, I'm a bit flummoxed at this point.

I've gone through and checked running processes and all I have going are Tools, Avast Anti-virus, Classic Shell, a network indicator and a clock program and the Virtual Box addons.

What makes this all the more interesting is that there are fewer programs on this computer than on the XP machine...LOL!

If you could point me in some direction for a spell checking program I might have (although I doubt it) I'll dig around.

The only text editors I have here are Libre Office and Notepad ++.
        The only other thing I can think of is that I have Chrome installed on this machine and not on the XP machine (possible?...it's not running at the moment).

I"m going to try installing on my laptop, but also have to keep an eye out for the plumber, who is due soon.

I'll let you know more when I know more.

Thanks for thinking, however.

boB

• DesktopboB, 10th Sep 2013 5:13 pm

Chami,
          Tired installing on the laptop and Tools does Find and Replace with no problems....grrrr!

Could any of the programs I mentioned in the previous post be interfering?

Could it simply be that since the Tools on my desktop has been installed over and over again that something could be amiss there?

Even tried looking at whether it was because I was working on files over the network...maybe that was causing the problem, so I copied the file onto the computer and tried it there....still no go.

The only difference between the two Windows 7 builds is that Chrome is on the machine where I am having trouble (I also don't have chrome on the XP machine where all is well)...possible problem there?

Thanks,
          boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 10th Sep 2013 6:28 pm

On 9/10/2013 5:13 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
            Tired installing on the laptop and Tools does Find and Replace with
            no problems....grrrr!

Thanks for trying it on your laptop. I know it can be frustrating
            tracking down this type of thing.

Could any of the programs I mentioned in the previous post be
            interfering?

It was just a guess that it could be a system-wide program. Classic
            Shell might fit that but I really don't know for sure. If you have some
            easy way to try with and without it, that might help troubleshoot.

Could it simply be that since the Tools on my desktop has been
            installed over and over again that something could be amiss there?

Probably not but you can try opening Tools with default settings
            (without losing your current settings) by going to "Kit" menu on top
            right and selecting "Profile > Extra > Temp."

Even tried looking at whether it was because I was working on files
            over the network...maybe that was causing the problem, so I copied
            the file onto the computer and tried it there....still no go.

Yeah that shouldn't be an issue.

The only difference between the two Windows 7 builds is that Chrome
            is on the machine where I am having trouble (I also don't have
            chrome on the XP machine where all is well)...possible problem there?

No, I have all sorts of browsers on my system and I've never had this
            problem.

Thanks,
            boB

Chami

• DesktopboB, 11th Sep 2013 5:29 pm

Chami,
              Tried a number of things today with no success.

Uninstalled 2 programs that might have had an impact, but it made no difference.

Cleaned the registry using CC Cleaner and stopped two start up entries that I'd missed over the months and did a thorough cleaning.

Tried started without Classic Shell, but that made no difference (the program changes the start menu back to a more familiar setup over the Windows 7 style...I've also heard it works some magic on Windows 8, as well.).

Tried using the Default setting with no change.

Tested the problem on every type of HTML/XHTML/HTML 5 setting available...nada!

Tried all four Replace types...nope!

On Tools itself, I tried changing from the default character encoding of UTF-8, cleared and flushed the cache and compacted the data files, but all was for naught.

Only other thing I noticed is that under the folders in Program Files there are a number of backups, some going back over a year ago, but I'm doubtful those would have an impact?

All I can come up with at this point is a nuclear option where I wipe all traces of Tools from the drive and then do a fresh install, but that leads to a couple of questions on how to do it and then, how to recover after I've done it:

Can I bulk import all my snippets from my other computer?
              The actual settings I've personalized are very few, mainly in terms of theme and the font type and size for the editor (I'll be taking notes before I dive in).

Is there anything else I should look at and, how can I make sure I do a full removal and clean install...or do you think I'm out of my mind at this point (I resemble that remark...nyuck, nyuck!)?

Thanks for your time.

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 11th Sep 2013 6:23 pm

On 9/11/2013 5:29 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,

Uninstalled 2 programs that might have had an impact, but it made no
                difference.

Cleaned the registry using CC Cleaner and stopped two start up
                entries that I'd missed over the months and did a thorough cleaning.

Tried started without Classic Shell, but that made no difference
                (the program changes the start menu back to a more familiar setup
                over the Windows 7 style...I've also heard it works some magic on
                Windows 8, as well.).

Tested the problem on every type of HTML/XHTML/HTML 5 setting
                available...nada!

On Tools itself, I tried changing from the default character
                encoding of UTF-8, cleared and flushed the cache and compacted the
                data files, but all was for naught.

Only other thing I noticed is that under the folders in Program
                Files there are a number of backups, some going back over a year ago,
                but I'm doubtful those would have an impact?

All I can come up with at this point is a nuclear option where I
                wipe all traces of Tools from the drive and then do a fresh install,
                but that leads to a couple of questions on how to do it and then, how
                to recover after I've done it:

The actual settings I've personalized are very few, mainly in terms
                of theme and the font type and size for the editor (I'll be taking
                notes before I dive in).

Is there anything else I should look at and, how can I make sure I
                do a full removal and clean install...or do you think I'm out of my
                mind at this point (I resemble that remark...nyuck, nyuck!)?

Thanks for your time.

boB

Well, since Tools is pretty self contained (it doesn't store settings in
                the registry, doesn't update system DLLs, doesn't install drivers), I'd
                be surprised if the act of running the uninstaller followed by the
                installer itself would make any difference.

You could close Tools, move *.hsf files to a new folder like C:\hsf_bak\
                (don't move to a folder inside Tools directory), and reopen Tools.
                That'll refresh your settings but you can easily get old settings and
                plugins, snippets, projects, etc., back.

Or, since you have a fresh copy of Tools on your laptop, you could copy
                *.hsf files from your other computer to the Tools\bin\ folder on your
                laptop. Just make sure that Tools is closed on both PCs when you do
                this. If it's a settings issue, starting Tools on your laptop with those
                files should help reproduce the issue.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 12:09 pm

Chami,
                  Had some spare time yesterday and did some more fiddling.
                  Feel at this point that I can refer to myself as BIOS (a reference to my computer repair days...LOL).

First, the problem is licked, but I'm not sure how I did it.
                  I'll go ahead an document what I did where, cause I hate going to message boards or forums where someone has a similar problem and then they just dash off a quick note to say "Fixed it!" with no explanation (coding is such fun).

As mentioned above, I removed two programs: these were IE Tester (haven't used it in quite awhile) and JD Disk Report (don't need it any longer).
                  With CC Cleaner, I stopped the Java Update Scheduler and did the procedures I mentioned above.

With all that done, I also ran a full virus scan, just in case.

That brought me up to the point that I was considering going nuclear and doing a re-install.

And this is where I feel truly dumb, because after doing all the above and considering a re-install, I failed to actually test the Find and Replace, but only ran it, saw that the ampersand was missing from the preview window and then cancelled it...without actually hitting "Replace All," simply assuming that since the ampersand didn't show in the preview window it wasn't going to work (you know the old saying about when you assume, don't you?).

This brings me to yesterday and I copied all the .hsf files from the Tools directory and put them in a backup folder. I then launched Tools and it came up as a default install, as expected. I then tried the dreaded Find and Replace on a new document and, in the preview window, the ampersand was again missing. Hit Replace All just for something to do while I was thinking.
                  Surprise...
                  The ampersand comes up on the special character, even though it was missing from the preview window?!
                  I then closed Tools and copied the .hsf files back into the proper folder and launched Tools again to find everything restored and, the same behavior as I'd found with the default install: the ampersand is missing from the special characters in the preview, but appears correctly in the document.
                  I'm not sure when the behavior may have changed and I know that when I first wrote, the ampersands were not being coded into the document and I apologize that I can't tell you when things changed.

So, that's where I'm at now. Find and Replace works in that it the changes occur within the document, but the ampersands on special characters don't appear in the preview window.
                  I'm going to try different font selections next and see if that changes anything and will let you know if it does.

Any ideas on your end (and thanks for letting me go on so long-windedly)?

boB

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 12:24 pm

Chami,
                    Here's an update:
                    Just tried the fonts for the editor and find that DejaVu Mono11, Consoles 11 and Lucinda Console 10 all display correctly in the preview window and also write to the document correctly.
                    Any of the Source Code Pro selections fail in the preview window, but does write to the document.

Gee, looks like we've nearly solved this (he said, sheepishly).

Any thoughts?

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Sep 2013 12:53 pm

On 9/13/2013 12:24 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                      Here's an update:
                      Just tried the fonts for the editor and find that DejaVu Mono11,
                      Consoles 11 and Lucinda Console 10 all display correctly in the
                      preview window and also write to the document correctly.
                      Any of the Source Code Pro selections fail in the preview window, but
                      does write to the document.

Any thoughts?

boB

Hi boB,

Could you please check if you're having this issue on all your computers
                      or just the one that was having the original problem?

I checked with F12 and Ctrl+F12 previews (I use Source Code Pro font in
                      editor) and the accent character showed up.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 1:06 pm

Chami,
                        Whoops...I need to clarify.
                        The preview window I'm talking about is the one for Find and Replace where it shows the before and after sections of the code...NOT the standard preview window.

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and not thinking real clearly (yeah, as if ever...LOL).

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Sep 2013 1:15 pm

On 9/13/2013 1:06 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                          The preview window I'm talking about is the one for Find and Replace
                          where it shows the before and after sections of the code...NOT the
                          standard preview window.

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and not thinking real clearly (yeah, as if
                          ever...LOL).

boB

No problem :) I can relate!

But the replace preview is working for me as well though. Are you having
                          this problem on your laptop?

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 3:17 pm

Chami,
                            Just checked the laptop and the replace preview is working on a clean install of Tools with Source Code Pro 11 chosen as the font.

Anything else I can check?

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Sep 2013 3:23 pm

On 9/13/2013 3:17 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                              Just checked the laptop and the replace preview is working on a clean
                              install of Tools with Source Code Pro 11 chosen as the font.

boB

Well, after all the tests you've done, would you kind of agree that we
                              keep going back to that PC as the only one showing this problem? You
                              could try installing the latest build (or the same build you have on
                              your laptop) on that PC and see if it makes any difference.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 3:46 pm

Chami,
                                I've never disagreed that there is only one problem PC here (chuckle), I'm just trying to document for you everything I've done and trying to find a solution.

As I mentioned in my first post, the problem PC is running 20130819, which is the same build that is running on the laptop.

It's been interesting to see that the problem has lessened after all the different testing and changes in configuration, since I started out with Find and Replace not putting the ampersand into the document at all (with build 20130819) to the point I am now, where the ampersand is missing from the replace preview, but Replace puts the ampersand into special characters in the editor.
                                This lack of replace preview accuracy only happens when Source Code Pro is chosen as the display font for Tools.

Could Source Code Pro 11 be corrupted somehow?
                                Or are there any other settings that could be changed in Tools to make the ampersand display in the replace preview window?

Thanks for all your time,
                                boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Sep 2013 4:24 pm

On 9/13/2013 3:46 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                                  I've never disagreed that there is only one problem PC here
                                  (chuckle), I'm just trying to document for you everything I've
                                  done and trying to find a solution.

As I mentioned in my first post, the problem PC is running 20130819,
                                  which is the same build that is running on the laptop.

It's been interesting to see that the problem has lessened after all
                                  the different testing and changes in configuration, since I started
                                  out with Find and Replace not putting the ampersand into the document
                                  at all (with build 20130819) to the point I am now, where the
                                  ampersand is missing from the replace preview, but Replace puts the
                                  ampersand into special characters in the editor.
                                  This lack of replace preview accuracy only happens when Source Code
                                  Pro is chosen as the display font for Tools.

Or are there any other settings that could be changed in Tools to
                                  make the ampersand display in the replace preview window?

boB

You'd see the same problem on your laptop if the Source Code Pro font in
                                  Tools has an issue specially since you're running the same build. This
                                  is because Tools doesn't add or change system-wide files and that
                                  includes fonts.

You bring up an interesting possibility though... if you have Source
                                  Code Pro installed outside of Tools, by another program or if you've
                                  manually installed the font, then it is possible that that particular
                                  version is out of date. So try this... close Tools, open Control Panel
                                  and find the Fonts section. See if you have an external copy of Source
                                  Code Pro font and if there is remove it. You can always reinstall if
                                  another program requires it. See if you still have the problem.

If I may make an observation :) and I'm not suggesting you do this
                                  but... there have been many weird issues on that computer over time that
                                  it might be due for a software refresh. If it's my computer I'd make a
                                  backup, reinstall the operating system and do a clean install of the
                                  software I use. It's a pain in the neck to do that so again I'm not
                                  suggesting you do that but that's what I would do if I had a computer
                                  with multiple issues.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 10th Sep 2013 2:54 pm

Chami,
      Well, I'm a bit flummoxed at this point.

I've gone through and checked running processes and all I have going are Tools, Avast Anti-virus, Classic Shell, a network indicator and a clock program and the Virtual Box addons.

What makes this all the more interesting is that there are fewer programs on this computer than on the XP machine...LOL!

If you could point me in some direction for a spell checking program I might have (although I doubt it) I'll dig around.

The only text editors I have here are Libre Office and Notepad ++.
      The only other thing I can think of is that I have Chrome installed on this machine and not on the XP machine (possible?...it's not running at the moment).

I"m going to try installing on my laptop, but also have to keep an eye out for the plumber, who is due soon.

I'll let you know more when I know more.

Thanks for thinking, however.

boB

Chami,
        Tired installing on the laptop and Tools does Find and Replace with no problems....grrrr!

Could it simply be that since the Tools on my desktop has been installed over and over again that something could be amiss there?

Even tried looking at whether it was because I was working on files over the network...maybe that was causing the problem, so I copied the file onto the computer and tried it there....still no go.

The only difference between the two Windows 7 builds is that Chrome is on the machine where I am having trouble (I also don't have chrome on the XP machine where all is well)...possible problem there?

Thanks,
        boB

Chami,
          no problems....grrrr!

interfering?

problem.

Thanks,
          boB

Chami

Chami,

Uninstalled 2 programs that might have had an impact, but it made no difference.

Cleaned the registry using CC Cleaner and stopped two start up entries that I'd missed over the months and did a thorough cleaning.

Tried started without Classic Shell, but that made no difference (the program changes the start menu back to a more familiar setup over the Windows 7 style...I've also heard it works some magic on Windows 8, as well.).

On Tools itself, I tried changing from the default character encoding of UTF-8, cleared and flushed the cache and compacted the data files, but all was for naught.

Only other thing I noticed is that under the folders in Program Files there are a number of backups, some going back over a year ago, but I'm doubtful those would have an impact?

All I can come up with at this point is a nuclear option where I wipe all traces of Tools from the drive and then do a fresh install, but that leads to a couple of questions on how to do it and then, how to recover after I've done it:

The actual settings I've personalized are very few, mainly in terms of theme and the font type and size for the editor (I'll be taking notes before I dive in).

Is there anything else I should look at and, how can I make sure I do a full removal and clean install...or do you think I'm out of my mind at this point (I resemble that remark...nyuck, nyuck!)?

Thanks for your time.

boB

Chami,

difference.

Windows 8, as well.).

available...nada!

notes before I dive in).

Thanks for your time.

boB

Chami

Chami,
                Feel at this point that I can refer to myself as BIOS (a reference to my computer repair days...LOL).

I'll go ahead an document what I did where, cause I hate going to message boards or forums where someone has a similar problem and then they just dash off a quick note to say "Fixed it!" with no explanation (coding is such fun).

As mentioned above, I removed two programs: these were IE Tester (haven't used it in quite awhile) and JD Disk Report (don't need it any longer).
                With CC Cleaner, I stopped the Java Update Scheduler and did the procedures I mentioned above.

That brought me up to the point that I was considering going nuclear and doing a re-install.

And this is where I feel truly dumb, because after doing all the above and considering a re-install, I failed to actually test the Find and Replace, but only ran it, saw that the ampersand was missing from the preview window and then cancelled it...without actually hitting "Replace All," simply assuming that since the ampersand didn't show in the preview window it wasn't going to work (you know the old saying about when you assume, don't you?).

This brings me to yesterday and I copied all the .hsf files from the Tools directory and put them in a backup folder. I then launched Tools and it came up as a default install, as expected. I then tried the dreaded Find and Replace on a new document and, in the preview window, the ampersand was again missing. Hit Replace All just for something to do while I was thinking.
                Surprise...
                The ampersand comes up on the special character, even though it was missing from the preview window?!
                I then closed Tools and copied the .hsf files back into the proper folder and launched Tools again to find everything restored and, the same behavior as I'd found with the default install: the ampersand is missing from the special characters in the preview, but appears correctly in the document.
                I'm not sure when the behavior may have changed and I know that when I first wrote, the ampersands were not being coded into the document and I apologize that I can't tell you when things changed.

So, that's where I'm at now. Find and Replace works in that it the changes occur within the document, but the ampersands on special characters don't appear in the preview window.
                I'm going to try different font selections next and see if that changes anything and will let you know if it does.

boB

Chami,
                  Here's an update:
                  Just tried the fonts for the editor and find that DejaVu Mono11, Consoles 11 and Lucinda Console 10 all display correctly in the preview window and also write to the document correctly.
                  Any of the Source Code Pro selections fail in the preview window, but does write to the document.

Any thoughts?

boB

Chami,
                    Here's an update:

Any thoughts?

boB

Hi boB,

Chami

Chami,
                      The preview window I'm talking about is the one for Find and Replace where it shows the before and after sections of the code...NOT the standard preview window.

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and not thinking real clearly (yeah, as if ever...LOL).

boB

Chami,
                        standard preview window.

ever...LOL).

boB

Chami

Chami,
                          Just checked the laptop and the replace preview is working on a clean install of Tools with Source Code Pro 11 chosen as the font.

boB

Chami,

boB

Chami

Chami,
                              I've never disagreed that there is only one problem PC here (chuckle), I'm just trying to document for you everything I've done and trying to find a solution.

As I mentioned in my first post, the problem PC is running 20130819, which is the same build that is running on the laptop.

It's been interesting to see that the problem has lessened after all the different testing and changes in configuration, since I started out with Find and Replace not putting the ampersand into the document at all (with build 20130819) to the point I am now, where the ampersand is missing from the replace preview, but Replace puts the ampersand into special characters in the editor.
                              This lack of replace preview accuracy only happens when Source Code Pro is chosen as the display font for Tools.

Or are there any other settings that could be changed in Tools to make the ampersand display in the replace preview window?

boB

Chami,

boB

includes fonts.

with multiple issues.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 5:24 pm

Chami,
                                  Well shucks, boss, that did the trick.
                                  Don't know who (or what) installed the Source Code Pro in the fonts folder, but deleting both instances solved the problem with Tools.

Gee, what a waste of time for both of us.

I'll take your reinstalling everything under advisement, but I've written off many of my problems with this PC to the fact that it is running 7 in VirtualBox and there are still some rough edges here and there (although they finally fixed the bi-directional clipboard).
                                  I should probably be clearer when asking about issues whether I'm using the Windows 7 machine or the XP machine and the last time I did a reinstall of 7, I had to go to the dreaded Windows automated phone register thingie (it was ugly, I tell you, ugly).
                                  Heck, if it weren't for Tools and 3 other programs that I need for my design work, I would ditch Windows and just use Linux...

And, for any of you just coming across or following this thread:
                                  I've been involved with computers since the early 90s and I don't know of any other developer who would take the time to try to help someone solve a single issue the way Chami does. He doesn't just shake his head and say "Sorry!" or use the other pat answers I've gotten from various developers over the years (or worse, just ignoring questions altogether.).

If you haven't bought Tools, do so today and urge others to do the same.
                                  The friendliness, tolerance and quality you'll get around here just can't be beat!

boB

Chami,

Thanks,
      boB

Chami,
        no problems....grrrr!

interfering?

problem.

Thanks,
        boB

Chami

Chami,

Thanks for your time.

boB

Chami,

difference.

Windows 8, as well.).

available...nada!

notes before I dive in).

Thanks for your time.

boB

Chami

Chami,

Surprise...

boB

Chami,
                Here's an update:

Any thoughts?

boB

Chami,
                  Here's an update:

Any thoughts?

boB

Hi boB,

Chami

Chami,

boB

Chami,
                      standard preview window.

ever...LOL).

boB

Chami

Chami,

boB

Chami,

boB

Chami

Chami,

boB

Chami,

boB

includes fonts.

with multiple issues.

Chami

• DesktopboB, 13th Sep 2013 5:24 pm

Chami,
                                Don't know who (or what) installed the Source Code Pro in the fonts folder, but deleting both instances solved the problem with Tools.

I'll take your reinstalling everything under advisement, but I've written off many of my problems with this PC to the fact that it is running 7 in VirtualBox and there are still some rough edges here and there (although they finally fixed the bi-directional clipboard).
                                I should probably be clearer when asking about issues whether I'm using the Windows 7 machine or the XP machine and the last time I did a reinstall of 7, I had to go to the dreaded Windows automated phone register thingie (it was ugly, I tell you, ugly).
                                Heck, if it weren't for Tools and 3 other programs that I need for my design work, I would ditch Windows and just use Linux...

I've been involved with computers since the early 90s and I don't know of any other developer who would take the time to try to help someone solve a single issue the way Chami does. He doesn't just shake his head and say "Sorry!" or use the other pat answers I've gotten from various developers over the years (or worse, just ignoring questions altogether.).

If you haven't bought Tools, do so today and urge others to do the same.
                                The friendliness, tolerance and quality you'll get around here just can't be beat!

boB

• HTML-Kit Support, 13th Sep 2013 6:21 pm

On 9/13/2013 5:24 PM, DesktopboB wrote:

Chami,
                                  Don't know who (or what) installed the Source Code Pro in the fonts
                                  folder, but deleting both instances solved the problem with Tools.

Wow! Whoohoo!

I'll take your reinstalling everything under advisement, but I've
                                  written off many of my problems with this PC to the fact that it is
                                  running 7 in VirtualBox and there are still some rough edges here
                                  and there (although they finally fixed the bi-directional
                                  clipboard).
                                  I should probably be clearer when asking about issues whether I'm
                                  using the Windows 7 machine or the XP machine and the last time I did
                                  a reinstall of 7, I had to go to the dreaded Windows automated phone
                                  register thingie (it was ugly, I tell you, ugly).
                                  Heck, if it weren't for Tools and 3 other programs that I need for my
                                  design work, I would ditch Windows and just use Linux...

I've been involved with computers since the early 90s and I don't
                                  know of any other developer who would take the time to try to help
                                  someone solve a single issue the way Chami does. He doesn't just
                                  shake his head and say "Sorry!" or use the other pat answers I've
                                  gotten from various developers over the years (or worse, just
                                  ignoring questions altogether.).

If you haven't bought Tools, do so today and urge others to do the
                                  same.
                                  The friendliness, tolerance and quality you'll get around here just
                                  can't be beat!

boB

I must say though that you solved this problem. It didn't even occur
                                  to me that this could be caused by an external installation of the font
                                  until you did all those tests and mentioned fonts a couple of times.

Thank you for doing all the hard work and isolating the issue! I'm sure
                                  others will find your detailed followups useful for troubleshooting in
                                  general.

I appreciate the kind words boB :) It's very nice of you!!!

Chami