Ctrl F causes crash - Exception: index was outside the bounds of the array

• Advertisement ( why? )

Aidy, 12th Oct 2012 1:48 am

I've been using Tools for a few years, and no problem. Yesterday I pressed Ctrl F to find some text and program crashed - just exited sharply - don't think it even saved changes. I was doing nothing unsual when this happened. Just editing text on a text editor.
    This happens every time now. I've tried updating to latest version. I've done power cycle on PC. No change.
    When I try going to Edit menu and selecting "Find", I get an "Exception" error thrown with message "Index was outside the bounds of the array".
    Find is not working and is causing program to crash. This is unusable like this. Please help!

• HTML-Kit Support, 12th Oct 2012 4:27 pm

On 10/12/2012 1:48 AM, Aidy wrote:

I've been using Tools for a few years, and no problem. Yesterday I
      pressed Ctrl F to find some text and program crashed - just exited
      sharply - don't think it even saved changes. I was doing nothing
      unsual when this happened. Just editing text on a text editor.
      This happens every time now. I've tried updating to latest version.
      I've done power cycle on PC. No change.
      When I try going to Edit menu and selecting "Find", I get an
      "Exception" error thrown with message "Index was outside the bounds
      of the array".
      Find is not working and is causing program to crash. This is unusable
      like this. Please help!

Hi,

I'm scratching my head why this is suddenly started happening in your
      case. Would you mind terribly trying the latest TreeHouse build
      (currently 20121001)? You can download it from your User Assistant account.

I'll help you get this sorted out either way but testing it in this
      build may help speed things up.

Chami

• Aidy, 14th Oct 2012 3:42 pm

OK. I'll update to treehouse. I've installed tools on my laptop and using it there with no problems. Tempted to do complete uninstall and install fresh on desktop - but will try to fix it first. what would you like me to do? I'm around tomorrow most of the day...

• Aidy, 16th Oct 2012 4:07 pm

I have treehouse build installed. I did complete uninstall, power cycle on PC and installed treehouse. Sadly, the problem has not gone away. I also had html-kit installed, and have uninstalled that just in case any conflict there. I really depend on html-kit for my work and the find facility is a crucial one when I'm dealing with many 1000s of lines of code. Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
        Adrian

• HTML-Kit Support, 16th Oct 2012 10:31 pm

On 10/16/2012 4:07 PM, Aidy wrote:

I have treehouse build installed. I did complete uninstall, power
          cycle on PC and installed treehouse. Sadly, the problem has not gone
          away. I also had html-kit installed, and have uninstalled that just
          in case any conflict there. I really depend on html-kit for my work
          and the find facility is a crucial one when I'm dealing with many
          1000s of lines of code. Any help you could give would be much
          appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
          Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for giving the TreeHouse build a try. Since that didn't help,
          I wonder if this is related to a specific find entry. Please see if this
          helps any: select "Profile > Extra > Temp" from the "Kit" menu on the
          far side of menu bar. This is going to open Tools with factory settings,
          but your previous settings will still be in "Default" profile.

Let me know how it goes.

Chami

• Aidy, 17th Oct 2012 5:20 pm

Hi,

Yes, good thinking. The find facility works fine in Temp profile. That being so, how do I eradicate the find entry history in my default profile?

Many thanks,
            Adrian

• HTML-Kit Support, 17th Oct 2012 6:17 pm

On 10/17/2012 5:20 PM, Aidy wrote:

Hi,

Yes, good thinking. The find facility works fine in Temp profile.
              That being so, how do I eradicate the find entry history in my
              default profile?

Many thanks,
              Adrian

Great! I'm glad to hear that.

I'm going to run more tests now that we have this information, but it
              sounds like some search expression or setting in the find dialog is the
              trigger. If you can post here or email me any information that you might
              remember from around the time this started happening, it'd make it
              easier to reproduce and fix this. Even a screenshot of the error with
              the find dialog may provide clues.

Chami

• Aidy, 20th Oct 2012 1:02 pm

Sorry, been snowed under the last couple of days. There is no error at all when I press Ctrl-F - the program just closes immediately. When I try to access search via menu bar, I get the error posted. That is the sum of the words that show in a standard error box - "Exception: index was outside the bounds of the array".

I can recall what I think is behind it. I was doing some searching for things and had the search window open, then accidentally or otherwise selected a chunk of text spanning several paragraphs and containing all sorts of unusual characters. I forgot or didn't realise that was in the clipboard, and came to paste and search, thinking I had something else in the clipboard. I think the search facility did continue to work for the rest of that session, but when I came to use the editor again the next day, it was broken. How do I find out what's in the search entry records? Where is this info stored? I had a brief look in the registry but couldn't spot anything...

Thanks for looking into this. I'm just using temp profile for now...

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Oct 2012 12:54 am

On 10/20/2012 1:02 PM, Aidy wrote:

Sorry, been snowed under the last couple of days. There is no error
                  at all when I press Ctrl-F - the program just closes immediately.
                  When I try to access search via menu bar, I get the error posted.
                  That is the sum of the words that show in a standard error box -
                  "Exception: index was outside the bounds of the array".

I can recall what I think is behind it. I was doing some searching
                  for things and had the search window open, then accidentally or
                  otherwise selected a chunk of text spanning several paragraphs and
                  containing all sorts of unusual characters. I forgot or didn't
                  realise that was in the clipboard, and came to paste and search,
                  thinking I had something else in the clipboard. I think the search
                  facility did continue to work for the rest of that session, but when
                  I came to use the editor again the next day, it was broken.

Ahh... this might help reproduce the issue. Thank you for the details,
                  I'll try this later today.

How do I find out what's in the search entry records? Where is this
                  info stored? I had a brief look in the registry but couldn't spot
                  anything...

Thanks for looking into this. I'm just using temp profile for
                  now...

HTML-Kit Tools stores settings in config.hsf file under the selected
                  profile. This helps with easily transferring settings without having to
                  copy registry keys. Most settings/configurations are viewable in manger
                  dialogs but as luck would have it this isn't the case for find items.

Chami

• Aidy, 22nd Oct 2012 3:42 am

can i access the data with sql-lite or something or just have to hold fire for now?

• HTML-Kit Support, 22nd Oct 2012 3:16 pm

On 10/22/2012 3:42 AM, Aidy wrote:

can i access the data with sql-lite or something or just have to hold
                      fire for now?

There's no good way to get to this list of items that way. There's good
                      news though... I've just posted a new TreeHouse build that should fix
                      this issue, assuming that what we've discussed is the source of the
                      problem. Please give it a try if you get a chance and let me know how it
                      goes.

Chami

• Aidy, 22nd Oct 2012 5:25 pm

Great news! I'll give it a go...

• Aidy, 22nd Oct 2012 5:35 pm

..And it works! Thank you so much. It's like having an old friend back. Glad I've been able to help make a great product even more robust. Good work.

• HTML-Kit Support, 23rd Oct 2012 3:10 pm

On 10/22/2012 5:35 PM, Aidy wrote:

..And it works! Thank you so much. It's like having an old friend
                            back. Glad I've been able to help make a great product even more
                            robust. Good work.

Woohoo! I'm glad that you have it working again. Thank you very much for
                            being patient and for your help!

Chami

• Angelique, 31st Oct 2012 10:09 pm

Huzzah! I just encountered this issue (and filed a bug report) and the current treehouse build has sorted me out, too. Just thought I'd add my experience to both note that more than one person had this exact issue and to express my gratitude for the quick fix! I'm in the middle of a project and this has saved me from tearing out my hair! :)

• HTML-Kit Support, 1st Nov 2012 8:30 am

On 10/31/2012 10:09 PM, Angelique wrote:

Huzzah! I just encountered this issue (and filed a bug report) and
                                the current treehouse build has sorted me out, too. Just thought I'd
                                add my experience to both note that more than one person had this
                                exact issue and to express my gratitude for the quick fix! I'm in the
                                middle of a project and this has saved me from tearing out my hair!
                                :)

Yay! I'm glad the latest build fixed this for you. I was about to reply
                                to your bug report and suggest doing the same.

Let me know if you continue to have any problems.

Chami