Beginner Question 1.

• Advertisement ( why? )

electrophile888, 18th Jul 2012 7:56 am

Sorry folks, I am a bit of a forum leech i.e. I am taking stuff without giving back. Unfortunately, I don't know anything to give back. Please forgive me, I am new to this game. HTML-Kit has been great so far, doing everything that I want to do, I just can't find instructions to tell me how to do these things.

Here's what I want to do:

I am slowly building up a site bit by bit to improve my skills, gradually adding content. I want to add a new page in the 'music' section, I want all other pages in the section to link to the page. Is there a quick way to add a line of code with the link in it to several pages, rather than do it by hand for every page (OK while my site is still small, but will quickly become arduous). I want to add a UL tag (containing the link) in a NAV section into all the HTML pages in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can anyone tell me what the best way to do this would be?

Note how I numbered the question, because I know there will be more questions.

• Charles, 18th Jul 2012 5:04 pm

On 7/18/2012 8:56 AM, electrophile888 wrote:

Sorry folks, I am a bit of a forum leech i.e. I am taking stuff without giving back. Unfortunately, I don't know anything to give back. Please forgive me, I am new to this game. HTML-Kit has been great so far, doing everything that I want to do, I just can't find instructions to tell me how to do these things.

Here's what I want to do:

I am slowly building up a site bit by bit to improve my skills, gradually adding content. I want to add a new page in the 'music' section, I want all other pages in the section to link to the page. Is there a quick way to add a line of code with the link in it to several pages, rather than do it by hand for every page (OK while my site is still small, but will quickly become arduous). I want to add a UL tag (containing the link) in a NAV section into all the HTML pages in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can anyone tell me what the best way to do this would be?

Note how I numbered the question, because I know there will be more questions.

Everyone had to start somewhere. You are at the stage that everyone has
      been one time or the other.

Since you are developing your skills you will find that there is more
      and more to learn as you progress. For multiple pages pointing or
      containing links to other pages, an 'include' statement is by far the
      easiest way to accomplish this. I suggest that you direct your
      attention to 'server side includes' by Googling on that phrase.
      Otherwise, consider doing this 'manually' a learning experience and
      career enhancement.

You will also find that Cascading Style Sheets, CSS, will make bring all
      the various pages together in appearance. But that is another subject.

Just be thankful for HTML Kit Tools. Chami's sterling mind over
      programming makes your endeavors much easier. I know from experience,
      limited as it is, having once used Notepad as the sole html editor.

Charles

• electrophile888, 19th Jul 2012 4:14 am

Thanks Charles!