Are there any good tutorials out there?

• Advertisement ( why? )

electrophile888, 26th Jun 2012 5:24 am

My life/career has recently made a change of direction, I'm now throwing myself into web development. I am coming at it semi cold, I used to do a tiny amount of web development, but that was about 12 years ago. I'm computer literate, and I have been reading about the technologies for a while now. I am currently in the midst of putting together my first basic site, and I have downloaded HTML-KIT to do it with. There seems to be a massive amount of functionality in the software, but it's a little overwhelming if I'm honest; I could do with some kind of tutorial just how to use this software.

For example, this little site has about 15 pages in total, each page has the same header, which contains the logo and navigation. Today, I want to add something to the navigation, i.e. one line of code on all 15 pages of the site. Looking at this software, I am sure that there must be a quick way of doing that rather than go into all 15 pages. Maybe I should have set up some kind of template to base the pages on, maybe I could change all 15 pages with a batch action. The point is I don't know, I tried reading some kind of 'tutorial' this morning, but it only confused me - didn't show me the basics of the software. Is there anything out there that can show me the bare bones of how to use the functionality of this software.

• bill, 26th Jun 2012 6:11 am

On 6/26/2012 6:24 AM, electrophile888 wrote:

My life/career has recently made a change of direction, I'm now throwing myself into web development. I am coming at it semi cold, I used to do a tiny amount of web development, but that was about 12 years ago. I'm computer literate, and I have been reading about the technologies for a while now. I am currently in the midst of putting together my first basic site, and I have downloaded HTML-KIT to do it with. There seems to be a massive amount of functionality in the software, but it's a little overwhelming if I'm honest; I could do with some kind of tutorial just how to use this software.

For example, this little site has about 15 pages in total, each page has the same header, which contains the logo and navigation. Today, I want to add something to the navigation, i.e. one line of code on all 15 pages of the site. Looking at this software, I am sure that there must be a quick way of doing that rather than go into all 15 pages. Maybe I should have set up some kind of template to base the pages on, maybe I could change all 15 pages with a batch action. The point is I don't know, I tried reading some kind of 'tutorial' this morning, but it only confused me - didn't show me the basics of the software. Is there anything out there that can show me the bare bones of how to use the functionality of this software.

AH, welcome to beta development.
      Tools just recently went from beta to production - although many
      of us have been using it in production for a couple of years.

At this point, the very best tutorial is to ask questions here.

For your question:
      In the right pane of the tools window (where you have the
      projects and/or files) right click on the directory that holds
      the pages. From that menu, select Batch Actions (near the bottom)
      and then Replace in Files.

presto-changeo: all done.

Welcome to Tools.

bill

• electrophile888, 28th Jun 2012 4:56 am

Thanks.